Sniping Sisters

The guests were expected to arrive at six o'clock. At fifteen minutes till six the four boys sat on the couch. Pete walked into the living room dressed in a tie and jacket. The boys could not help but notice how uncomfortable he looked. Mickey thought how their dad was more of a barbeque in the backyard man than a formal dinner party type.

"Okay boys once the guests arrive we need you to stay in your room." Pete said hating the thought of exiling the boys to their room. It made it feel like he was punishing them. He would have allowed them to stay in the back yard if it wasn't for Red. "Don't come out unless it's an emergency."

"Yes sir." They said.

He could tell that the boys were not too thrilled with that.

"I expect you boys to behave tonight." He looked at Mickey as he said.

"I'll be good dad." Mickey said a bit nervous. He prayed that he would make it through the evening without being spanked or made to face the wall.

"Thank you son." Pete said rubbing the boy on the head.

Pete smiled as the door bell rang. "I wonder if that is your pizza." He said causing the boys to smile. He could not help but feel envious that boys were having pizza and he was forced to eat whatever fancy concoction Lori was creating in the kitchen.

He walked to the door and did not find the pizza delivery boy. Instead he found his wife's sister Martha and her husband Alistair. He felt his body tense as he saw them. "Hey guys." He said forcing himself to smile.

"Hello Pete." Martha said looking down at her nose at him. She stood five six and had shoulder length black hair and brown eyes. "I hope you don't mind us coming early, I thought I would help Lori step up." I'm pretty sure she needs it Martha thought but did not say.

"Not at all." He noticed Ricky smirk at his obvious lie. "Lori Martha and Alistair are here." He then shook Alistair's hand as he said "Good to see you Alistair." Pete found himself asking what type of name was Osgood.

Alistair was in his early forties, he stood six one, was slightly overweight and had thinning black hair. His hazel eyes were behind a pair of wire rimmed glasses. He was dressed in a light blue suit with a white shirt and paisley tie.

"Likewise." Alistair Osgood said shaking his hand firmly but not making eye contact with him. "Boys come over and say hello to your aunt and uncle." The three stood up but Jack remained seated unsure what to do.

"Hello boys." Martha smiled warmly at them. She hugged each boy and Alistair shook their hands.

Pete then said "Jack come over here buddy." Jack walked over and Pete put his hand on Jack's back. "You guys remember my nephew Jack."

"Of course it is good to see you Jack." Martha said and gave him a small hug.

Lori then walked into the living room and gave her sister an uncomfortable look. "Martha, Alistair you guys are here early."

"Yes I thought I would help you get ready." Martha said. The two hugged as Pete told the boys to return to the couch. A look of disapproval crossed her face as she watched the boys return to the couch.

Lori then said "Let's go into the kitchen."

"Okay." Martha said. She gave the boys another awkward look as she walked into the kitchen.

"What was that about?" Mickey asked.

"I'm not sure." Ricky said. His stomach growled and he hoped that the pizza would get there soon.

Pete then looked at Alistair and said "So would you like a drink Alistair?"

"I would love one." He said and the two walked over to the liquor cabinet. He then thought disdainfully how he was certain he was going to need it.

Martha and Lori walked into the kitchen and Martha said "So the boys are here."

"Of course they are." Lori said giving their sister a confused look. "Why

wouldn't they be."

"Well your invitation said this was going to be an adult only dinner." Martha said shooting her a look of annoyance. "That is why I left my children at home with a baby sitter, one that is costing me twelve dollars an hour mind you." She then said "I was just a little shocked to see your children here."

"My children live here Martha."

"Yes I know that."

"Where else would they be?" She asked.

"I don't know somewhere else." Martha said. "Since the invitation said that this was going to be a child free dinner which is kind of impossible to have when there are three..." Martha then quickly corrected herself. "Sorry four children here."

"Don't worry Martha they won't be having dinner with us." Lori said. "They will be staying in their room while we are having our dinner and out of our way." Lori felt a stab of guilt as she said that. She had to admit that she was uncomfortable keeping them in their room all night. At first it seemed like a good idea to keep them boys out of sight during the dinner. That they way they could have the dinner in peace and not worry about the boy's embarrassing them in front of their guests.

But as the time of the dinner neared she felt a tide of guilt slowly rising inside of her. Which was odd but she was never bothered before when she had Dawson stay in his room while she threw parties before she married Pete. She did make sure that Dawson was concealed away in his room before the guests arrived though.

Its okay she told herself as she pushed the guilt aside. There is nothing wrong with having the boys stay in their rooms for a couple hours. Besides they like being in their room playing video games and watching television.

You are just being silly she told herself.

"If you say so." Martha said with skepticism in her voice.

"I say so." She said as the last few traces of guilt evaporated.

"So why is Jack here?" Her nose wrinkled as he spoke. "I mean why does your husband's nephew get to be here when my children can't be". She then shook her head "Does not seem to be fair."

Lori let out a sigh. "We didn't know that Jack was going to be here?"

Martha gave him a confused look and asked "What do you mean."

"Jack's sister dropped him off without telling us." Lori said with frustration in his voice. She saw a moment of sympathy in Martha's eyes which quickly disappeared.

"Well why didn't you call her and tell her to pick him up." Martha said. "After all you had plans for the evening, plans which did not include other people's children."

"Martha please stop?" Lori said in exasperation.

"Alright I'll stop." She said with a shrug. "I am just saying that is not fair that your husband's nephew gets to be here while I was forced to leave mine at home. Seems like a double standard to me."

"Martha please stop or just go back into the living room."

Martha threw her hands up in the air and said "Okay I'll stop. What do you need me to do?"

Stop being a drama queen for five minutes she thought. "Help me carry those dishes into the living room."

"Gladly." Martha said. She walked over to the kitchen and picked up a platter of broiled samon. "Are you sure these are done."

"Yes Martha."

"Maybe you should put them in a few more minutes."

"They're fine." She said as she picked up a bowl of little red potatoes.

"If you say so."

"Ido." She sighed inwardly as she thoughtthis is going to be a long night. Shethen heard the doorbell ring signaling another guests arrival