Pete and Dawson

Pete then walked into the living room and collapsed on the couch. It had a been long, exhausting day and unfortunately it was not over yet. Actually the worst of it was yet to come. He cringed at the thought of the dinner party and dealing with Lori's friends and wished there was a way he could he get out of it. He then let out a sigh as he thought there was not.

He picked up the remote and turned on the television as he thought that he might as well enjoy himself before the evening's festivities began. He clicked through the channels until he found a game that he wanted to watch.

A few minutes later he noticed Dawson sheeplishly walk into the room. He muted the television and asked "Hey little man everything okay."

"Yes." Dawson said as he sat next to him on the couch.

"Mickey is not picking on you again he is?"

Dawson shook his head. "No, Mickey has been nice to me." For once he thought.

"You haven't been picking on him again." He said with a small smile.

"No I've been good too."

"Then why aren't you watching television with your brothers."

Dawson shrugged. "I don't want too."

"You want to hang with me for awhile."

Dawson nodded his head and Pete could see a bit of excitement in his eyes as he said "Yes sir."

Pete smiled as he put his arm around the boy and pulled him towards him said "That's fine you can hang with me." Dawson let out a small laugh as Pete squeezed him tightly and then let him go.

"Could you do me a favor buddy?" Pete said.

"Sure."

"Go get me a soda." Pete told him.

Dawson shrugged again as he said "Okay."

Dawson walked into the kitchen where his mom was chopping carrots and said "Hey mom."

"Hey baby." Lori said. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah I'm just getting sodas for dad and me." He said as he walked to the refrigerator.

Disapproval filled her eyes as she thought how her husband and the boys drank way too much soda. She had been proud of the fact that she had barley allowed Dawson to have any as he was growing up. But then she married Pete and Dawson quickly became a caffeine addict like the rest of them much to her displeasure.

"Why don't you have a bottle of water honey?"

"Do I have to?" He said as he grasped the two cans of cokes tightly. He looked as if his world was about to end.

She let out a sigh as she said "No fine let your teeth rot out."

"Thanks mom." He said as he walked out of the kitchen.

Lori then sighed again as frustration filled her. She loved her husband but hated how he stripped her of all of influence over her son. The boy she once knew was slowly disappearing and being replaced by a stranger who she felt no connection with. And she was not sure how she was going to stop it or even if she could.

Dawson walked back into the living and handed Pete a soda. "Here you go dad."

"Thanks little man." He said as the boy sat down. Pete eyed it suspiciously as he said "You didn't shake it up did you."

"No I only do that to Mickey." Pete said with a laugh.

Dawson pulled back and expectation filled his face as he said "Can we wrestle." He thought how Pete had not wrestled with him for a couple of weeks. Actually Pete had been so busy at work lately he barely did anything with them. The only time he had done anything one on one with Pete was when he had gotten his spanking.

"I would love to wrestle with you buddy but this is not the best time." Pete said.

Disappointment crossed his face as he said "Okay." He then turned his attention to the game.

Guilt began to eat away at Pete as he said "Hey buddy look at me." Dawson looked at him. "Tomorrow night after church you and I will wrestle okay."

"You promise." Dawson said. The disappointment in his eyes was quickly replaced by a look of sheer excitement.

Pete rubbed the boy's head as he said "I promise."

Dawson moved closer to him and leaned up against Pete causing Pete to wrap his arm around him. "Are you sure you are okay little man?"

"Yeah dad I'm okay." Dawson was silent for a few seconds and then said "Thank you."

"For what buddy?" Pete asked.

"For being my dad." Dawson replied.

"You're welcome." Pete said. "Thank you for being my son." He thought how he was blessed to have such a great kid like him for a son.

A smile crossed Dawson's face at the words. He just hoped that Pete would always be his dad and not leave him like his real father did. Like Jack's father did him.

Dawson then sunk into his couch and watched the game.