Back in the boy's room

Jack could tell that his uncle was not too excited with the prospect of returning to the party.

"Yes sir." Jack said and walked out of the kitchen.

Jack breathed a sigh of relief as he walked down hall. That was a close one he thought. If that had been my grandfather or my Uncle Harry my backside would have been roasted. He was glad that his uncle Pete was not always quick to pick up the belt for every disobedience.

But he will if I push him he thought. For the sake of my backside I better be good for the rest of my time here. He just prayed that he did not tell his mom. She was not always the attentive parent but she would not hesitate to give him a session with the hairbrush if he was not good.

He opened the door where he found his three cousins sitting on the floor watching television. They gave him concerned looks and then Ricky asked "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." Jack said looking at him uncomfortable. "I went out side."

"Yeah we know." Mickey said. "We saw the whole thing." He then pointed at the window that had view of the backyard.

"Oh..." He did not realize that they had been watching the entire time.

"You were lucky he did not get his hands on you." Dawson said. The memory of being lifted off his feet by Red played through his mind again. He could not help but cringe as he thought about the hate he saw in his eyes. He thought the man was going to kill him, he was sure of it.

"Yeah."

Ricky frowned at him and said "What were you thinking man. My dad told you not to go out there."

Shame filled him as he said "I guess I wasn't."

"What did my dad do to you?" Mickey said.

"Mickey that's none of your business." Ricky snapped at him.

"It's okay." Jack said. No it's not okay Ricky thought giving his brother a dirty look. He knows better than to ask about someone's punishment. "I had to face the wall for fifteen minutes."

"That's all." Mickey said with a look of surprise. "If that had been me I would have gotten the belt." If Uncle Jamie had his way I would have gotten it he thought. He then saw a look of frustration in his cousin's eyes. "Dad would have whipped me black and blue."

"Only because you should know better." Ricky shot at him.

"So should Jack." Mickey countered. He knows the rules just like the rest of us he thought. "It's just not fair." He said under his breath. "So not fair."

"I'm sorry Mickey." Jack said.

"You have nothing to apologize for." Ricky then looked at his brother. "Mickey tell him he has nothing to apologize for."

"You have nothing to apologize for." Mickey said not looking at him. He then got up and said "Excuse me I need to go to the bathroom."

"Mickey..." Jack said but Mickey ignored him as he walked into the bathroom and closed the door.

"He's going to be okay." Ricky said in assuring tone. "Come on and sit down."

"Okay." Jack said as he looked at the bathroom door one more time and then sat down. He found himself wishing that he had gotten the spanking. Sure his backside would be hurting but at least Mickey would not be upset.

Why couldn't I just stay in the house like I was told he thought.