Kid Brothers part I

Jamie Baker was Pete's younger brother born to his father and former step mother. He was twenty years old, stood six foot flat and short black hair and brown eyes. His face was angular and he had a playful smile always plastered across his face.

The boys enthusiastically greeted him giving him tight hugs. Pete had to admit that he was relieved to see his younger brother as well. Lori's friends had not been much of a conversationalists and Pete thought he would go mad at any moment.

Jamie was joined by Pete's sister Claudia Wright who was nineteen and long brown hair and brown eyes. Like Jamie she was the offspring of his father and his stepmother's short lived marriage.

Pete thought how Jamie was originally going to bring his girlfriend to the dinner but he said that she had to cancel because of work and Claudia agreed to join him. Lori said that she was happier that Claudia was coming instead. She had not approved of Jamie's latest girlfriend and felt that he could do much better.

Claudia hugged her nephews as she greeted them. Pete heard her tell Jack that she was happy to see him and Jack replied that he was glad to see her as well.

Lori walked over to them followed by Martha who shot the two a look of disapproval. She uttered more children under her breath earning a nasty look from Lori. She then walked over to the two greeting them both.

Lori grabbed Pete's arm gently and said "Can I talk to you honey."

"Sure." Pete said giving her an uncomfortable look. He then looked at the boys and said "Boys head to your rooms we'll bring you your pizza when it gets here."

The four said yes sir and obediently went to their room.

Pete could tell that his brother and sister were not happy with the four of them being sent to their rooms. The two shot him accusatory looks that Pete seemed to shrink under. He told them that they would be back and walked into the kitchen. "What's wrong?"

"It's Jamie." She said.

"What about him?"

Lori looked at him awkwardly. "He's not wearing a tie." Lori said. "We said this was a formal dinner and he is not wearing a tie."

Pete almost shrugged it off but refrained. He knew how important this dinner was to her and did not want to upset her.

"I'll talk to him." Pete said. He had plenty of ties that he could wear.

"And make sure he behaves himself." Lori said. "I don't want a repeat of last time." She thought how there were times that the boys were better behaved than her twenty something year old brother in law was.

"I'll be sure to remind him to be on his best behavior." Pete said and walked out. The two went back into the living room where he saw a unpleasant look on Martha's face as she engaged Jamie and Claudia in conversation.

He thought maybe you need to worry more about your sister and less about my brother.

"Jamie can we talk." He said as he touched his younger brother's shoulder.

"Of course bro."

Claudia could not help but smile as Jamie was turned around and given a slap on his backside much to his embarrassment. She heard gasps and a couple of chuckles from the other party guests. Jamie shot his brother an annoyed look as they walked into the kitchen.

Once in the kitchen Jamie looked at his brother in frustration. "Did you really need to do that in front of a room full of strangers bro." His eyes bore through his brother as he spoke. "I get it I am your kid brother and I need my backside slapped from time to time to keep me in line but do you know how embarrassing it is for me to get spanked in front of a bunch of people I don't know like I was a ten year old."

Pete could not help a twinge of guilt as he saw the frustration across his brother's face."You're right I'm sorry I'll try to do that only in private or just in front of family members."

"Thank you." Jamie said. He did not mind getting swat from his brother. It was a much needed reminder for him to be on his best behavior. But it is something that he would rather be done in private.

He then sighed as he thought its tough being the kid brother. "What is up?"

"Lori wanted to make sure that you will be on your best behavior."

"I know Pete." He said as he rolled his eyes. "I'm not a thirteen year old."

"I know Jamie." Pete said. "But sometimes you have a tendancy not to act your age."

Jamie gave him an embarrassed look. He could not help but to agree with that. Often he still acted like a teenager. Especially when he was around his teenage nephews and nieces. He then thought which is probably why his brother still felt compelled to give him a slap across the bottom from time to time.

"Don't worry Pete I know how important this night is to you guys and I will not do anything to ruin it." Jamie said sincerely. "And I promise you that if I do anything to ruin this evening for you guys or embarrass you I will march out to the backyard and cut a switch myself."

"Thank you bro." He then said hoping it would not come to that.  "Do you need me to get you a tie?"

"A tie?" He asked confused.

"You were supposed to be wearing a tie tonight bro." He pointed at his own tie as he spoke.

"Oh yeah." Jamie said snapping his fingers. "I forgot about that." He then pulled black tie out that had comic characters from his jacket pocket. Pete could not help but smirk at the sight of it. "What's wrong you don't like my superhero tie? I have you know that comic book characters are considered very avante garde."

Pete thought how you don't even know what that means. "No they're fine."

"Good because I would hate to think that Captain Hawkman and his crew were not welcome here." He said as put the tie on.

Pete shook his head. "Come on lets go back." As they walked out he placed his hand on the younger man's shoulder as he said "Oh by the way Jamie I am going to hold you to that switch promise if you act up."

"I have no doubt that you will." He said.