Of drinks and axes

Ricky found himself looking out the window at the Benson backyard. The image of Scarlet jumping over the fence went through his mind. He had to admit that he was impressed. He did not realize that she was so athletic. Then again he thought how nothing about her should surprise him. She was an amazing girl and that was why he liked her so much.

He was just glad that she got away from her father before he got a chance to get her hands on her. He hated to imagine what he would have done to her if he got his hands on her. Or on Jack he thought. He probably would have beaten Jack far worse than Scarlet.

The backdoor to the Benson house then opened and shut. He watched as an angry Red walked off the back porch.

"Do you think he is ever not angry?" Dawson said as he stood next to him.

"I'm not sure." Ricky replied. "He's lived next to use for eight months and I don't think I've seen him smile once." He was not sure that he was capable of smiling.

Red walked to the back of the fence as if he was looking for something. He can't actually think she is still around Ricky thought. She probably ran off to her closest friend's house and will probably crash there for a couple of hours. He then watched as Red slapped the top of the fence and then let out an expletive.

Mickey walked out of the bathroom and then joined them at the window as he asked "What is going on?"

"We're watching Mister Benson." Dawson said.

"Are you okay?" Ricky asked.

"I'm fine." Mickey said and Jack shot him an concerned look. "Really I'm fine." Jack nodded but was no sure that his cousin was telling him the truth.

"He sees us." Dawson said.

Red Benson's eyes blazed with anger as he looked at the four boys causing ice cold shivers to run up each other their spines. He then made a cutting motion across his neck and then pointed at them.

"Let's get away from the window." Ricky said.

"That might be a good idea." Mickey said as he took a step back.

Ricky then quickly closed the curtains as Red continued to stand giving them an ice cold stare.

"He is insane." Jack said.

"Yes he is." Mickey replied.

"Come on let's watch something." Ricky said as he sat back on his bean bag chair. He then reached for his soda only to find it empty. He then asked "Do we have anymore soda?"

"No we're out." Dawson said.

"Should we get more?" Jack asked.

"I don't know dad and mom might get mad if we leave again." Dawson thought how he always had to suffer if he ran out of anything to drink when it was just him and his mom.

"Come on they don't expect us to dehydrate." Jack said.

"We're not going to dehydrate." Ricky said. It just felt that way. If Jack had not left and gotten in trouble he would not have given leaving to get something a drink a second thought. But now he was not sure if it was good idea. He could not imagine his dad whipping them for just getting something to drink but they might get yelled at and he was not in a mood to get yelled at.

He then looked at his cell phone laying on his dresser and idea came to his mind. "Dawson can you hand me my cell phone."

Dawson snatched his phone and then handed it to him. "Here you go."

"What are you doing?" Jack asked.

"Sending Aunt Claudia a message." He said as he composed the message.

A look of comprehension crossed Mickey's face as he said "Oh good plan."

"I have them from time to time." Ricky said with a smile and then sent the message.

His phone then notified him of a reply. He smiled as he saw the response. "She said yes of course we can something to drink."

"Cool." Jack said as he started to get up.

"Wait is that dad or mom saying that or is that Claudia saying that." Mickey said.

"Good question." Ricky said as he began to type another text.

Dawson then said "I didn't know that you had in you."

Mickey shot a glare at him as he thought how he was going to pay for that remark.

"Dawson." Ricky scolded.

"I was just kidding." Dawson said.

No you are asking for a beating Mickey thought and if Ricky and Jack were not here I would happily oblige.

Another text came to his phone and Ricky said "She says yes and for us to get our butts out of our room and get something to drink." Ricky then stood up and said "Let's go."

The three joined him as they walked down the hall. Ricky could not help but feel like he was being let out of prison. He did not want to return to his room.

Pete was waiting by the kitchen for them as they walked down the hall and for a moment Ricky feared that they made a mistake.

"Hey dad." Ricky said.

"Hey buddy." Pete said as a look of guilt crossed his face. "I just wanted to apologize to you boys. Keeping you confined to your room all night was a horrible mistake and it should not have happened."

"It's okay." Dawson said.

"No it's not okay." Pete said and I should not have allowed it happen. "None of you should have been scared to come out of the room for something to drink and I am sorry that you felt that way." Shame danced across his face as he spoke, he could not help but feel that the Chestersons were right. He was a monster. A monster for letting this happen, a monster for treating his boys like prisoners.

"Thanks dad." Ricky said and the other boys said thank you as well.

"So I am lifting the ban on leaving the room." Pete said. "You guys can freely move around the house even join us for desert in the dining room." And I don't care how much Martha complains about it he thought.

Ricky then said "I saw the deserts mom made, I'll pass." It was something called syllabub that smelled like rotten eggs and he was certain that was how it tasted.

Dawson laughed. "Same here." His stomach turned as he remembered eating something she called a wet nelly. It was something that he never wanted to experience again.

I don't blame them. "Okay but be respectful."

"We will." Ricky said.

"Okay go get something to drink and remember not to go outside." He said.

The four boys spent a few minutes in the kitchen talking in low voices and then decided to return to their room to watch video games. Ricky looked at the window and wondered if Mister Benson was still out there. He hesitantly walked to the window and slowly looked at the curtain to take a peek out.

He then saw him sitting in his backyard looking right at their window as he drank a beer and held an axe his hand. Ricky quickly closed the curtains wishing that he had not looked out.

I'm going to have nightmares for a month he thought as he sat down and tried to push the image from his head.