Of godly young women and godly young men

A half hour later the family pulled into the parking lot of the Bakersville community church. It was a one story white building that held about a hundred people. Pete had attended the church long before the boys were born. He had met and married his first wife there. And the church had been a pillar of strength to him and the boys when she died. Many of his closest friends were members.

Pete pulled up next to a red minivan and said "Looks like the Moores are here." The Moores were a family of eight who had attended the church for the last five months. The mom was a housewife and the dad worked for a landscaping company.

Pete felt they were nice people though he believed that the dad was too quick to take the belt to his kids. Not every mistake was an act of rebellion Pete and other fathers of the church had often told him. And not every rebellious act needed to be responded with physical punishment. But sadly their words fell on deaf ears.

Lori then said "You know I really like their older two girls." Pete gave his wife a small smile. "They are really two godly young ladies who love the Lord."

"Yes they are." Pete said in agreement.

"I think they would make some fine girlfriends for some godly young men." She said. She then looked back at the other older two boys who both had looks of extreme discomfort across their faces. "Don't you think so boys?"

"Yes mom." Ricky said giving his mom an uncomfortable look and wanting to make a quick escape from the van. She could tell that Mickey shared the sentiment. "Can we get out now?"

"Of course honey." Lori said and then Ricky opened the door and got out and was followed by the other boys.

Pete could not help but watch in amusement as the boys walked towards the church.

"I really do think they would be good girlfriends for the boys." Lori said. So much better choices than that Scarlet girl she thought.

"I agree." Pete said but he was not sure if their father would agree or how he felt about his daughters dating. Even thought their twin girls were the exact same ages as his boys he had yet to see them date anyone. They may not even be allowed to date yet he thought.

He imagined that the girls may not be allowed to date until they were eighteen or twenty one. Or even thirty. He cringed at the thought of those poor girls having to wait so long to date.

"You know we should invite the Moores over for dinner this week." Lori said. "So we can get to know them better."

"You mean so the boys can get to know the girls better." Pete said with a small smile.

"Exactly." Lori said.

"We have to make sure that we keep Ben away from Scarlet though." Pete said and watched a look of annoyance across her face at the mention of her name.

"Yes the last thing we need is that girl getting poor, sweet innocent Ben into trouble." Her jaw tightened with tension as she spoke.

"Or Ben getting her into trouble." Pete said.

She let out a smirk. "Believe me Pete if anyone is getting anyone into trouble it's that little tart and not the other way around."

Pete shot his wife a look of discomfort. "You know you really need to show a little bit more grace towards that girl." Just like how you want Red senior to show grace towards our boys he thought. "She is not the enemy."

"Yes she is." Lori said. "My job is to keep our boys pure and that little tramp is throwing herself at them and making my job more difficult."

"I think you are blowing this out of proportion." Pete said.

Another car then pulled into the parking a couple of spaces over from them. A young African American family of three got out of the car and waved to them. They were the Stillwell family who had been attending the church for the last three years. Lori then said "We should head in."

"Okay." Pete said as an uneasy feeling went through him.

"We definetly should have them over." Lori said.

"Yes." He said. "Yes we should."

Pete had to admit he probably would enjoy dinner more with them than he did with their guests last night. Guilt than began to bubble up inside of him as his words to Lori a few minutes ago entered his mind. He sighed inwardly as he thought maybe I need to show a little more grace myself.

He wondered if they were backyard barbeque types or formal dinner.