The Mall part II

The four boys made their way through the horde of mindless of Sunday afternoon shoppers that filled the mall. Ricky could not help but feel a bit claustrophobic as customers surrounded them as they negotiated their way towards the theater. A couple of times they found themselves being bumped into, Dawson at one point let out a cry of pain as someone stepped on his foot. The offender's only reply was to scold Dawson for not watching where he was going.

Mickey shot the man a look of derision as he spat out. "What a jerk." The man turned and glared at Mickey. Ricky felt tension filled him as he feared the man would start a fight with his brother, a fight that he was not certain that his brother would not win. Instead he just turned around and went about his business.

"Forget him." Ricky said. He then looked at Dawson and asked "Are you okay."

"I'm fine." Dawson said as leaned against the wall rubbing his foot.

Ricky was then shoved as a couple of teens passed them. "Get out of the way idiot." The two teens laughed as Ricky's cheeks went red with humiliation. He began to wonder if coming to the mall was a bad idea. He was almost tempted to call his dad and have him pick them up. No he thought he really wanted to see the movie and he was not going to allow a few jerks to ruin it for him. "Come on lets go."

They began their way through the press again and Jack observed a fight break out between a couple of patrons. A man in his early twenties slammed his fists into another man knocking him to the ground. A crowd had gathered as the other man quickly jumped to his feet and lunged at his opponent. Two women who he assumed were their girlfriends yelled at them to stop.

"What is wrong with people?" Jack said as they passed by the scene. Another person bumped into Jack without apology. Jack quickly reached for his back pocket to make sure that he still had his wallet.

"People are crazy." Mickey said. A couple of security guards raced down the mall towards the two combatants.

An image of Red coming towards him with his belt entered Jack's mind. And sadly one of the craziest is living right next you guys.

A chorus of boos had came from the onlookers as the two men were led away in handcuffs. The two women followed them shouting profanities at security. The crowd dispersed going about their business.

Dawson then said "A part of me really wants to go home now."

Ricky reached in to his pocket to grab his cell phone and Mickey said "Come on its no big deal don't act like a baby."

Dawson shot him a dirty look and then with resignation in his voice said "Fine."

Ricky pulled his hand from his pocket as they continued on their way. They soon made their way to the theater where there about thirty people waiting for tickets.

Jack looked at Ricky and asked "You have my mom's phone number in your phone right?"

"Yeah." He thought he hardly ever called her number though. When he wanted to talk to Jack he would just call his home's landline or message him on social media. He wished that his aunt would get Jack his own but she said that he was not worth the money it would cost.

"Mind if I try to call her." He said as they moved forward. Both Dawson and Ricky gave him uncomfortable looks.

He then observed two teens running past them towards they entrance that they came in.

Ricky shrugged as he pulled out the phone. "Sure."

Another three teens went barreling past yelling profanities at the ones they were pursuing. Ricky thought how if he ever used such language in front of his father his backside would be roasted and he would have his mouth washed out with soap. Actually I would wash my own mouth out if I ever lowered myself to use such language.

"Thanks." Jack said as he took the phone."

The group of boys soon disappeared into the crowd knocking a few people over.

Mickey then muttered "What in the world."

"She probably won't answer." Ricky said as Jack began to scroll down the contacts. "She never answered the few times I called her to get in touch with you."

"I know." He said as he stopped at one of the names on his list. A shiver went up his spine as he looked at the name. Jack then looked up at his cousin and said "I just want to try anyway."

Mickey then said "Line is moving again."

The sound of another argument he began to fill the air causing Jack to look away from the cell phone. This time it was two women in their late teens or early twenties in the midst of shouting match. Jack looked away as they began to shove each other.

Jack hit her name as they started to go forward a couple of steps. Much to his disappointment it went straight to voice mail. Though he was not too surprised by it. "Hey mom this is Jack I was just calling you to make sure that you were okay. Can you please give us a call. Thanks." Jack then disconnected and he feel the looks of sympathy from his cousins. "I'm going to try our house if that is okay."

"That's fine." Ricky said as he watched as the one girl shoved another against a shop window as she desperately grabbed her hair. As normal a crowd of gawkers had gathered who were watching the scene with much amusement. The two girls then fell to the floor and were soon rolling around hitting each other.

What are we doing here Ricky thought.

Jack hit the home number and it rang three times before the voice mail answered. He left the same message for her and then handed the phone back. "Thanks." He said as he stood straight ahead.

One of the girls staggered to her feet holding a lock of the other woman's hair in her hand. A triumphant look was across her face as she threw the hair down, called her an unflattering term, and then walked off with a couple of other girls in tow. The other girl let out a moan as she was helped to her feet and began to stagger off.

"You okay." Ricky asked as he slid the phone back in his pocket.

"Yeah I'm fine." Jack said. I'm fine for a guy whose mom cares very little for him. Fine for a guy who knows that even if his mom bothers to listen to the messages she is not going to call him back anyway. And I am fine even though I know calling her violates the not bothering her while she is on a date rule and I will probably be grounded or have a session with the hairbrush when I see her again. He rubbed his backside as he was certain it was going to be the hairbrush.

Yeah just fine and dandy he thought as they began to move further ahead. A lump began to form in his throat as he began to think about the beating that he probably awaited him. He fought against the urge to cry.

"Are you sure you are okay?" Ricky asked.

"I'm fine." He said as he pushed his fears aside refusing to let them consume him. Just enjoy the time with your cousins he told himself. Don't let any future spankings you may get ruin your afternoon. Worrying about them never stopped them from coming anyway.

They were soon a few away feet away from the ticket counter when a group of five teens pushed their way in front of them. "Hey no cutting." Mickey shouted as he was shoved back.

"Shut up loser." A tall muscular teen with multiple piercings said as he snorted.

"No, I won't shut up." Mickey said in a frustrated tone. "Get to the back of the line you jerks."

"Mickey." Ricky said cautiously.

One of the boys then glowered at him. He was the same height as Ricky and Mickey but muscular built. "You want to make us." He then pushed Mickey back.

"Stop pushing my brother." Ricky said firmly

The pierced teen loomed forward as he said "And what are you going to do about it worm." He then grabbed Ricky by the face and shoved him to the ground. Ricky let out a small cry as he hit the floor. "Come on tough guy, you going to do something about it."