Women's work and grains of salt

Mickey looked at his father confused as the man walked away. He stopped and shot his father a dirty look before getting in his car and driving off.

Mickey then asked "What was that all about?"

"Don't worry about it." Pete said. "Get in the car we have a lot to do."

He took the drink and Mickey made his way to the passenger side of the car.

As he got in he said "Thanks again dad I really appreciate it."

"You're welcome."

"I was curious where did you get the idea that house cleaning was just women's work?" He asked. He felt a twinge of guilt about lying to him but he could not bring himself to tell him what went through his mind.

"Grandad." Mickey said.

Pete let out a sigh. "Of course."

"He said that laundry, doing dishes and other household chores were what women did and not men. That women took care of the house while men did all the real work."

Pete cringed as his son said that. "You remember we had a little talk about your grandfather a couple of years back."

Mickey shook his head. "Yes sir."

"What did I say buddy."

"To take most things that granddad said with a grain of salt."

"Well that you are going to have to take with a huge truckload."

"But granddad is not the only who says that." Mickey said.

"I know." Pete said. He could imagine those very words coming out of Trent's mouth as well. "Tell me something I was a single father for over ten years, did your grandmother or Aunt Jackie come over the house to cook or clean for us."

"No." Mickey laughed at the thought of Jackie cooking or cleaning. According to Jack she was too busy to do that and had Jack take care of it. Though Jack really doesn't really like doing it either so the house tends to be quite messy.

"Who did the cooking and cleaning?"

"You did." Mickey said. "But you're married now you don't have to do that stuff that is what mom is for."

Pete could not help but cringe. He rubbed his hand down his face as he said "Mickey I did not marry your mother so I could have a maid. I married her because I loved her and wanted to share our life together." He then looked at him and said "That includes the household chores."

Mickey blinked at him in response. One thought came into his mind that he did not dare to verbalize.

"So no more of this nonsense about it being woman's work." Pete said firmly. "If your mother asks you do to the dishes you will do the dishes, if she wants you to do the laundry do the laundry." He then looked at him and said "Understand me buddy."

"Yes sir." He nodded in compliance.

"Thank you buddy." Pete said. "I'm sorry to jump all over you but what you said this morning really offended your mom."

"I know dad and I'm sorry I said it." Mickey said guilt began to bubble inside of him.

Pete rubbed the back of his son's head as he said "You're a good kid Mickey."

"Thank you sir." He said with a slight smile.

He looked out the window again as a comment formed in his mind. A comment that he desperately wanted to make but it could not because it seemed disrespectful. And he did not want to disrespect his father. He loved him too much to give him any outright disrespect.

But he could not help but toss it around in his mind. If doing the dishes and laundry is not women's work than why do you so little of it he thought. It seemed like forever since his dad did the laundry or washed the dishes. He understood why he could not help cut the grass or cut down tree limbs today. There was legitimate reason for it but he did not think it applied to doing housework.

He could not help but find his lecture a bithypocritical. Again not that he wouldsay that to his dad. But he could nothelp feel that way