1.8: Welcome to My Office

I walked out of the meeting room feeling excited. The adrenaline pumped into my blood became my boost of energy - and that was only the morning. By noon, my thoughts were filled with the thought that the case would be the beginning of my career in the corporate world, and despite my discomfort of it years before, I came to the realization that maybe - just maybe - this was what my Father, Nathaniel, Dominic, Hamish and Erika all loved about the job. My best friend once told me that it was the best perk anyone could ask for, the thrill of the ride made every sacrifice worth it, and the reward that came afterwards is never what you'd expect.

"Let's head out to lunch," Hamish offered as we were the only ones left in the meeting room. We had to clean up after the scribbles of paper and empty coffee cups left behind by my Father and Nathaniel, who left in a hurry to catch a 1 o'clock appointment in the big room upstairs.

"Actually depends on what you have to offer me for lunch, Mr Schwartz, I'm a picky eater." I teased as I clenched onto the stacks of paper pressed against my chest. "We need to drop this off to my office first, then we'll see from there-"

"-Well, technically, you don't have an office. We haven't sorted one out for you yet. Everything happened so quickly that no one realized that we'd have to shuffle the junior associates around to give you an office, since you waltzed in here being a top dog already. So I think you'll have to share with someone for a while." He explained with an apologetic tone followed by a playful jab on the arm. "I would be happy to share an office with you, but even I don't have an office."

"Then where do I put all these then?" I said while beckoning at the stacks of paper in my grasp.

"Why don't we just dump it off at your fiancé's lovely office? Out of everyone here, he's got the biggest and much better one." Hamish sounded sarcastic, he wasn't impressed by anything he told me, especially since the topic went around the particular man he wasn't fond of. And even though he could fool the other employees by sounding nice, I wasn't fooled, because deep down, I knew he disliked the very thought of Dominic.

"You know, if we walk in there, we won't end up going to lunch together."

"True," He sighed. "There's no winning here, is there?"

I shook my head. "You can't really do much if you're challenging Dominic, Hame." My voice quivered in between the giggles that escaped as his face scrunched up in disgust, he looked pretty annoyed. If he was part of those cartoons on the television, he had the perfect expression as the ones with pressure points on top his head, curved and over-exaggerated eyebrows, and fumes huffing out of his flared nose. A very amusing sight.

"I'm sorry, Hame." I breathed, though still out of breath from laughing at his dark expression.

"No you're not," He angrily grumbled under his breath as he rolled his eyes and puffed air through the gaps of his teeth. He lifted the rest of the scribbled paper into his hands. His fingers creased a few pieces from the amount of pressure he had on them. "Come on then, I have no choice but to dump you into the office of your lover boy, and you owe me lunch next time."

"You're such a baby." I purposely nudged at his arm with mine on the way to the door, which made him laugh when I nearly tripped and hit myself on the door once I rebounded from his body like one of the balls in the pinball machine.

The interns nearby eyed us curiously, Hamish and I were not really acting as professional as they were, and I guess, being the new faces in the office made the interns feel uncomfortable by the way we acted. Although I expected them to already be acquainted with Hamish, since he apparently arrived and in and out of the office for two weeks already. I wouldn't be a new face, I make a weekly appearance two to three times a week, and Dominic often paraded me around like a trophy wife, so they should recognize this goofy face.