4.0: NYC to LA

"This is how we're saying goodbye to New York?" Hamish questioned as he and I stood at the rooftop of the building where the Lawler & Walsh office was going to be in New York. We stood side by side, waiting for Erika to come back after her phone rang.

I nodded and let my hair down, my arms stretched out to my sides and let the breeze kiss me. "Of course, Hame."

"Are you wishing for Jack to come hold you and you'll tell him you're flying?"

"Shut up!" I hissed. "Let me enjoy this moment right now. Who knows when I'll get the chance to do this again?"

"Are you mocking me?"

"Huh?" I turned and faced him. As I focused at his squinted eyes, I realized that I said something similar to what he said the morning after. I faintly smiled at him, crossing my arms over my chest as I apologized and added, "For what it's worth, you and I wouldn't have worked anyway."

"Oh really?" He scoffed, sounding a bit in disbelief that I agreed to everything he's told me. "And what makes you say that, Annie?"

"Well, for starters, we have the worst chemistry ever. You suck at cooking, you drive an ugly car back in LA, you can't afford to have a high maintenance girlfriend like me, but the main reason will always be because you eat my food." I was only joking, and he knew that. This was probably the last time we could banter like this before we head back to Los Angeles, there was a high chance that we wouldn't be able to see each other as often - and the obvious - that our light banter would be easily misinterpreted.

"Pfft, Annie, you're just in denial that I'm such an amazing guy." He replied with a wink.

"You're more of a dork."

We both laughed, hands at our stomachs as we let our fits of laughter escape us, letting the echoes go on and on across the buildings to down below. I let the euphoria take over me, the elated feeling felt absolutely amazing. I hadn't let myself laugh uncontrollably in a long time, and I didn't want it to stop. We were at it until the cramps kicked in at the side of my stomach, I held onto it tight and eased down slowly, wiping a the bit of water at the corners of my eyes afterwards.

"Okay, what the hell?" Erika revealed herself with three wine glasses and a bottle of champagne, she cocked her eyebrow up and her lips pouted in confusion as she came closer. "You two have this weird bond."

"Don't worry, boo, we're just sucking in the last breath of New York before our flight, and I think we sucked in a little too much." I explained.

"Weirdos." She teased as she each handed us a glass, well, I held onto hers while she popped open the bottle, the cork flew over to the door and the champagne fizzed out, which caused us all to take a step back so our clothes wouldn't get wet. As she poured each glass, she said, "I'm going to make a toast."

"For what?"

Hamish raised his glass first, taking the bottle off Erika along the way. "Doesn't matter, Annie? This is like the calm before the storm, just let it happen." He advised, he looked like loosened up a bit.

I nodded and raised my glass too. "Alright, alright."

Erika cleared her throat, she coughed once and then raised her glass as high as ours. She smiled, looked at Hamish then me before returning to the three glasses in between us. Her smile faded, sighed and said, "I know there will be hell once we touch down in Los Angeles. We're about to face one of the most powerful men in Lawler & Walsh, and heck, I won't lie to the two of you that I'm scared and if I could say it immaturely, I'm fucking pissing myself. But I'd rather work in an environment that is safe than one where employees are controlled through manipulation, blackmail and fear. I'm dedicating this toast to Janina Miller, her cold case will finally be solved."