2.2: L&W Rules - Office Romance is Prohibited

On Tuesday, I left for work earlier than Dominic, and I wasn't even in the office all day, I was with Hamish at the client's workplace where we listened and watched the whole accident being reenacted all over again, which further proved how guilt and his worth to the company without him realizing his own stupidity. We finished around eight o'clock in the evening with exhausted brains, hands filled with paperwork and stomachs running on empty, and we weren't even halfway through that day's load of paperwork. I can't remember the last time I ate and worked at the same time, and Hamish mocked my choice of food too.

I mean, come on, hamburger versus a healthy wrap? No brainer that a hamburger was the way to go.

And the days seem to have gotten slower after that.

By the time it was Thursday, my mind thought it was already Friday. The workload and life in Lawler & Walsh made life so slow and busy, complete opposite to the PD life, where work barely left the office and hardly mingled with personal life either. And speaking of personal life, because of how busy I got and how late I went home, I haven't actually seen or even had a proper conversation with Dominic for the past two days. I had to work earlier than him and at a different location for the clients, and whenever I went into the office, he went elsewhere or we both just got busier. When we go home, we leave from the office at the same time, but I manage to fall asleep midway through getting changed for bed.

And then repeat.

Although today, I managed to get free at around three o'clock, and all I wanted to do was to go and spend my freed up time with my fiancé.

We were in my new office, which I often shared with Hamish as we worked on the same case. He told me that his office was with whoever needed his help, but he wouldn't say why he wouldn't step in and be on the first chair instead of being just like a paralegal. We both leaned back with arms flailed above our heads in unison. Sighs of escape filled my office. I tossed my head back and soaked in the sweet relief that we may have found a loophole in the contract that could be used against the opposing party, everything felt bittersweet as I knew one way or the other that our guilty client may get free from all this without consequences. I patted my fingers on my cheek, lightly slapping myself in disbelief that all the early mornings and late nights were going to pay off.

"We did it!" Hamish oozed his words.

"I know!" I grinned to myself.

"We need to celebrate," He suggested and slammed his palms against the desk, pushing himself along the way and gave me an excited grin. Unfortunately, I wanted to do other things. I tilted my head back to face him, my body slipped slightly further down my seat and pouted at him, which he figured out without me having to say any other word.

"Fine," He sighed in defeat. "But you owe me."

"I know, I know," I laughed.

"Go on then, I'll freaking clean up around here and you go do your bloody thing." Hamish weakly waved his hand at me, head lowed as he began to do just that.

"Thanks Hame!"

"Yeah, yeah, shut up."

I rushed over to him and wrapped my arms around him, giving him a tight squeeze from the side. He scrunched his face a little and expressed his supposedly disgusted self at my touch, he even pried me off of him with a finger pushing on my forehead.

"Get lost, Annie, save your 'loving feeling' with your lover boy," Hamish said with air quotes.

"Okay, okay, I'm leaving-"

"-Good!"

I glared at him and wandered away as he told me to do so. I could still remember the last time Hamish and I had a playful interaction like that, but ever since I started, he was heck of a lot careful with such things knowing full wll that hawk-like eyes peered through every corner, and each one of those eyes had a secret spy. I already figured out some of them, like Dominic had his secretary and a male paralegal while Erika had a male paralegal and female intern that started earlier this year, and one of the female senior associates kept tabs on all the possible recruitments through one of the male junior associates that led the interns.