3.6: NYC - Truth

Hamish called near 7 o'clock, he finally got the tick of approval from Fiona to finally meet up, after delays from her side when she panicked about the possibility of being caught. Erika couldn't change her schedule around like she wanted, since Dominic left back to LA, she took charge of whatever else was left to do for the office renovation and such. She always wanted to come and experience things first hand, but with her new role, she always found out last. I actually wanted her there with me, to hold my hand and help me from breaking down.

I was on thin ice right now.

Anything could trigger me. Anything.

"Hey stranger," Hamish greeted me as we met up at the front of the hotel, he had his hands tucked away into the pockets of his black jeans and hunched forward like usual, the vintage Rolling Stones shirt dangled quite loosely on him that he looked thinner than usual. Although the smell of tobacco filled my nose.

"I don't understand why you smoke," I said in response as I jokingly pinched my nose and turned away from him.

"Ha-ha, not like you've tried it."

"Um, for your information, I have, back in High School, and it's gross. Besides, it doesn't make you anymore appealing to the opposite sex, you know." I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow, giving him the matter-of-fact tone.

"For your information, I've gotten laid a lot thanks to this bad boy lawyer image I've got going."

"Bad boy, my ass. And they're not my type."

He nudged me with his elbow and winked. "Quite hard to believe that, Annie."

I enjoyed our banters, and I'm glad that despite what's happened, we've managed to stay the same. But I wonder what he's thinking behind his charming smile, what lay behind those blue eyes and what went on in his brain. I've known the PD Hamish Schwartz, and he's still quite the same since we reunited, but I wonder what's behind the new one and who he really is?

Nowadays, it's pretty hard to see.

We headed into a diner, somewhere where no one could recognize us, hence the casual wear going on between - jeans and plain tee combination was the way to go. When I Fiona Walsh again, after five years, she was still as pretty and young looking as I remembered. She was somewhere in her late thirties now, her blond hair trimmed from the usual shoulder length bob to aligned with her jawline, her light brown eyes and signature red lipstick completed her vintage beauty. However, she wore a similar style to us too, but she wore a cardigan over herself to dress much more appropriately to her age. Since her divorce finalized from Nathaniel, she remarried two years later to a banker and had three children within the span of the five years that went by.

If you're wondering she hadn't changed her last name.

The banker she married, well, a second degree cousin to Nathaniel, which may be a little too convenient.

"Oh my, Marianne Lawler!" Fiona stood from the table she reserved outside of the diner, she had her own cigarette in her hand and she pressed it roughly onto the ashtray.

There was certainly a theme of smoking going on.

"Oh dear me, age has been your best friend!" Her southern accent seeped through as she gave me a hug.

"Same with you," I replied and pulled back to get a closer view of her. "You certainly don't look like you've given birth to three children-"

"Four now, sweetie." She winked.

"Four? Congratulations!"

"Finally, a little girl born in March! A house full of boys is as exhausting already! Keep a note of that when you're having little kids of your own. Are you still with Dominic?"