3.5: NYC - Secrets

"Hello?"

"Where are you, Marianne?"

"Does it matter? What do you want?"

"I want to talk about this... About us."

"Us? There's an us?"

"Don't be like this."

"Bye, Dom."

I tossed my phone to the end of the bed and lay back down, my fingers began to fiddle at the necklace of the matching hearts, I forgot I had it on until this morning, when I went to the bathroom. I was in Hamish's apartment, I was in his bed and he was sleeping beside me. What we did last night was a release of the tension, but I know he didn't deserve to be the rebound. I think he knew what he was.

"This was bad, wasn't it, Annie?"

I turned my head to face him, he was on his stomach, his hands hid beneath his pillows, but his blue eyes were open and stared right at me. The weak smile curved at a corner of his lips as he slid his left hand over and caressed the side of my face, he stared at me like he knew what I was going to say without me having to say it.

"I'm sorry." I sighed.

"Nah, don't be."

"What do you mean?"

"I know you and that prick are always going to end up together, even if you break up now, you two already have this weird connection that soulmates have-"

"Soulmates? Hah, I don't think I believe that." I scoffed. "If we were meant to be then he wouldn't have slept with someone else."

He shook his head. "Didn't you just do the same thing?"

And quiet. Yeah, I just did, but it shouldn't have counted right? I held onto Hamish's hand, holding it close and looked back at him, rather unsure. It was obvious I was guilty, and Hamish wasn't stupid enough to figure out why I called him that night.

"Annie, I hope I can find someone like you."

I slightly pouted. "No, don't find someone like me, I'm a bit of a psycho." I joked as he reached over and rolled me to the side so my back pressed against his chest, he wrapped his arms around me, his chin hooked at the nape of my neck and he took a deep breath. It felt nice being embraced that way, a genuinely loving embrace, something easily comparable to Dominic's.

"I'm going to let this moment linger, because when am I going to have another chance at this?" He whispered.

"I guess..."

"Don't be like that. I have to give you back, Annie, I know that. No matter what, like I said, you and that prick are meant to end up together." He sounded saddened by the idea, his tone of voice became faint and wavered too. "You two have each other's hearts, and even if you both go off and have different relationships or bang other people, the only one who could mend your hearts are each other."

"I didn't mean to-"

His hand slapped on top of my mouth, my words muffled before I gave up talking. "Shut up," He chuckled. "Just let me have my moment."

I laughed against the palm of his hand and nodded.

"Good. Because after this, when we get up and head off to get your things, we have to be professionals now, okay?"

I pried his hand off me and I shuffled a bit to face him, the poor guy. "Are you going to be okay with me being just a friends?" I tried to keep a smile on my face, keeping the mood of the room happier than the glum reality.