5.6: Day Six - Confessions

"W-Wait- What do you mean you knew everything? Wha- Dom- D-Daddy?"

I couldn't wrap my head around it.

After the arrest of Nathaniel last night, I was forced to follow with the officers to say a few words in their required interview and detail the events that occurred in the bedroom - even though the video evidence as well as the audio was handed over by Hamish. And apparently, from what I gathered after a whole night being locked up inside that bloody conference room with Hamish, Erika, Dominic, my Father and Julia, it seemed like everyone but me and Hamish had a solid plan. I didn't want to talk to them either, not even the oblivious seventh member of the group, and as we all sat on our chairs, we kept to ourselves, well, not really, I kept to myself while everyone else wanted me to talk to them. And, oh, I guess they forgot that the feeling of betrayal and dishonesty within this supposed 'tight knit' group made me furious that no word wanted to come out of me, not even a simple adjective to describe to them about how I truly felt about them.

Although I applauded Dominic's attempts to explain himself and Erika's whimpering apology, they certainly didn't cut it for me. The only time that I finally had the confidence to speak to them was the moment we got back to our own suite, all of us marching in one by one like ant soldiers. Dominic forced me to take a seat as Julia came out behind them, her hand rubbed at her protruding belly before she reached below her dress and pulled out a fake baby bump cushion that - literally - made my jaws drop. The first few words I could confidently muster up from the sight was -

"What. The. Fuck."

Julia tossed the cushion to the floor space in front of me as she asked, "Surprised, aren't you?"

My eye twitched, I felt it stagger for a moment before I slapped my palms to my thighs and sarcastically responded, "No shit."

"There really is no need for that type of tone, Marianne," My Father scolded me.

"Forgive me for my tone, but I feel that there is only so much a person can take."

I admit that I was being a bit of a child throwing a tantrum as I was overreacting about all this, but as I said, there is only so much one person can take. In that case, being told that everyone in that room knew what was happening way before I did made my mind blow. What actually surprised me was Dominic and Julia's involvement, and the way they fooled me surely made me believe that they could actually take up acting if they ever wanted to. And for Julia to throw the cushion that faked her growing baby bump made everything so... Ugh!

"How did you go through the scans?" I asked, prolonging the real conversation that's to follow. I reached down and squeezed the cushion in my grasp, my nails dug into the material that covered whatever foam was inside.

"It's not so hard to grab a fake one," She replied like the wise ass she always was.

"Annie, listen to us, we really couldn't tell you-" Dominic tried to explain himself, but I raised a finger and silenced him, throwing the cushion at him as my eyes continued to burn imaginary holes at the woman standing opposite me. I shook my head to signal for Dominic not to speak before I asked, "Will you be the one to explain all this to me?"

Julia nodded.

"Then start," I demanded and lowered my hand, my body stiff as I waited for her to begin.

And with that, she did.

"As you may know, I am a District Attorney. A case I worked on before all this was of a man charged with the murder of a cold case, which was so many years old. Prior to meeting that said client, the FBI approached me out of the blue about an undercover job. They told me to drop the charges and they instructed me to lure and seduce Nathaniel Walsh, which they said was connected and suspected of the cold case. According to them, he was an original suspect and ties to the victim, however, in the very last month prior to a court trial, he managed to wipe himself clean from everything."