4.5: The Worst Nightmare

"Well, I didn't think we'd ever come to this."

Awkward.

I stood up and in front of my Father, my Enemy and my Nightmare. The three of them sat opposite me, on a black leather seating in a meeting room, I had a folder in my hand, a pen in the other whilst they eyed my presence, judging me as I stood there quietly. I tried not to open my mouth to ask why I was there or if our plan got caught - I could have sworn I properly hid away the small camera, did Nathaniel find it?

I've avoided him since he got back.

Was I that obvious?

I couldn't find a way out of this, not at that moment, my brain blocked me out of my own thoughts and opened my ears to listen to them. I didn't want to, but obviously, a part of me did. My Father and Judge Cole turned to Nathaniel at the same time, their lips pursed together and they waited for Mr Walsh to say something... Or anything. His silence killed me inside, his finger kept steady on his chin, tapping at the lower lip as his vile hazel eyes continued to devour me from head to toe, psychologically torturing me.

"I know this isn't what you'd expect me to say, little Lawler, but it's come to my attention that you and Dominic have recently ended your relationship." I nearly choked at his words as he leaned forward, elbows against his thighs as his fingers clasped together, our eye contact unbroken. "It's come to my attention that my Brother decided that he and his wife would approach your for their legal needs-"

I raised to folder into view. "Yes, I was working on it before I was called in here," I answered, being as sincere and professional as possible.

"And Dominic has mentioned he's supervising you?"

"If you call him just sitting through the meetings and not helping in the actual problem itself as 'supervising', then yes." I wasn't lying either. Though he did help me out that one time.

"And are you okay with that?"

I slightly curved my brows as I had the urge to ask him what was up with the sudden questions, but I kept my lips tightly pressed against each other, gulping every single word I wanted to say back down my throat. A light nod responded to his question.

"Alright," Nathaniel muttered and leaned back against the leather, his arms crossed over his chest as he asked, "Then you would not mind me asking you to accompany me to meet with my Brother, would you?"

"May I ask what for?"

"To discuss the legal matters. I know nothing about this. Care to, at leat, enlighten me?"

"Uh, sure-" I cleared my throat. "They've got a problem with one of the chairman of their board over company insurance amongst other things. Mostly contract disputes."

"Then you will accompany me, right?"

My gaze shifted to my Father's, mentally sending him a few messages that - hopefully - he received, but he closed his eyes and flared his nose. There was no chance he'd help me. I needed someone else to go with me, being alone with Nathaniel would be such an easy excuse for him to take advantage of me. I know, I know, I am eventually going to sleep with him, but I'd much rather prefer it later than sooner.

"Why so stiff, little Lawler?"

I looked back at Nathaniel, a smirk curved at his lips.

"If you wish, we can bring Dominic too. I'm sure that boy hasn't visited his Parents for quite some time." He sounded displeased with the idea. "But I am certain he's busy, so you can nominate someone in his place."

He's playing with me.

"How about that consultant-"

"-I'll go." Judge Cole confidently raised his hand.