5.2: Day Two - The Awkward Approach

The following day, Nathaniel and Julia held a rehearsal dinner, which they turned to a full day event for only their family members and closest friends. My Father and I haven't spoken at all despite what's happened, and Dominic forced me to promise not to open my big mouth about what I told him, although the fact he told me those things made unexpected speculations in my head - I haven't told him about it.

Instead, I went off to tell Hamish when I was finally free from the meet and greets with Dominic's family, and it was hard and very uncomfortable for us considering we announced we were over and done with, and yet, there we were like nothing happened. His own Mother called it, 'the impulsive decision that wasn't thought through very carefully by two babbling idiots who were meant to be lawyers'.

Yep.

So, I excused myself and met Hamish by the bar, where he ever-so-casually leaned on and sipped bourbon in the afternoon.

"Your Dad gave it to me when Nathaniel's brother handed him one, and even though I don't like bourbon, it's kind of grown on me," He weakly chuckled through he explanation and took another sip. "So, Annie what's up?"

"Is it possible-" I bit my lower lip and I certainly wasn't sure that my speculations about Dominic would make any sense at all. It did in my head though. I needed a second opinion, and Hamish was heck of a lot more honest than Erika, who often agreed with me when I needed her very important opinion the most. I brushed strands of my hair to behind both ears, getting a bit nervous as my toes curled inside the crème colored heels, I really wanted to blurt it all out in one word vomit like I did when I confessed to Dominic about what happened.

Why couldn't I do it?

Ugh, I couldn't say it at all.

"What's possible?" Both his eyebrows were raised as he looked at me with the utmost confusion.

"Well, you know, if this fails?" I certainly couldn't say it. Even that sentence left it wide open to the imagination - more like - fill in the blanks for Hamish.

"Oh geez. We've been through this over and over." He groaned.

"Maybe-"

"Come on, Annie, live a little and let the ride take it's course. We already planned and set up everything from plan A to Z. Okay?" He continued as he grasped my shoulders and spun me around to face the chatting crowd of 50 or so. He leaned closer to my ear, the strong bourbon stench filled my nose as he whispered, "Just relax, okay? Let it all go. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably nothing, just made up imaginary obstacles."

"No, what if I realized-"

"Shh, Annie."

"Ugh-"

"Shh!" He covered my mouth and whispered a lot quieter than before. "Listen, whatever you're thinking, delete it. It's probably just your nerves, alright?"

He was probably right. Maybe all the speculations and what not were made from the fact that I'm probably nervous about the whole situation. I mean, there's not much to consider from just words from Dominic's mouth, there's no physical evidence like what we have of Janina's murder, plus, we still have the tape recordings from Nathaniel's office all those months ago.

Remind me to review them.

"Fine, but can I at least tell you?"

In defeat, Hamish turned me back around, his grip still at my shoulders and gave me a nod to signal an okay, his lips pursed and gaze looked at me in disbelief.

I took a deep breath, blinking briefly, my lips parted slowly and I said, "I think my Dad isn't actually helping us, he's trying to sway us because I think Dominic is-"