3.0: L&W Rules - You Belong to Us

"Is this what you wanted, Annie?" Erika whispered into my ear as we watched Nathaniel and my Father pat Dominic on the back, both flashing fake grins on their faces.

I could only nod. My chest ached more and more.

"So, you're really going to sacrifice your own happiness to do this?"

"Erika, the more I push him away, the less painful it will be once we succeed. I know I can't guarantee that the old Dom will come back, and I know the new Dom so well that I know he won't come back to me at all until he finds out the truth." I made sure I kept my words at a whisper, despite the shakiness of my voice failing to do so, at least the applause of the employees were loud enough to cover our conversation altogether.

"Boo, you love him so much to even consider this."

"Boo," I gulped and wrapped my arm around hers, practically clinging onto her. "All I want is for him to be happy-"

Even if it meant that we wouldn't be together at the end of this. My fate was sealed either way, because as of Monday, our plan to take down Nathaniel Walsh was set to go.

Just one step at a time.

Starting with the relationship with my own Father.

Fortunately for me, my Father was talking to me again, he unexpectedly invited Dominic and I for a late lunch at his home the next day. I didn't expect my fiancé to come with me, since he woke up with a throbbing headache from the amount of wine he gulped down last night, and because of his current state, he was particularly clingy with me and moody to everyone else. Dominic slept for most of the morning and during the drive to South Pasadena, to my Father's third - and hopefully last - million dollar, two level, colonial home.

Honestly, who needs six bedrooms and six bathrooms at his age anyway?

I drove there in black SUV, parking behind my Father's third Mercedes, purposely parked in plain sight. I mean, other than his other three favourite vintage cars parked in his garage that he refurbished for the sake of keeping his memories of his younger years - and one of them used to be the family car when I was five - there was also a boat and an extra car that belonged to my Brother whenever he was around LA.

Gee, my Father sure knew how live luxuriously, but you should see Nathaniel's place.

"Hi Antonia," I greeted my stepmother as I stood in front of the doorway. For a couple of months being a pregnant woman, she was blooming.

"Hello darlings!" She greeted in response, her accent on full volume as she gave me one of her signature hugs and kisses, both to me and Dominic. "Come on in," She added as she widened the dark double doors, revealing their home and leading the way.

"Come on, baby," I whispered to the half-dazed Dominic.

"I'm sorry, Marianne, I'm just not in the mood."

"I know."

"But I'm here."

"I know." I weakly smiled and held his hand.

"Good." He snuck in a kiss before we followed Antonia.

Through the long hallway, a turn to the right and shortcut through their large dining room, we were out on their covered wooden deck, which overlooked down to their pool and tennis court. My Father already sat on one of the six seats, a glass at hand and slowly blew out smoke after inhaling his cigarette. He reminded me of one of those mafia bosses in their mansions, but to me, he was always going to be my Father, the silver-haired, glasses-wearing, scotch-drinking, 63-year-old smoker, who just happened to be my boss. As much as I loved him and put up with him like I did with Dominic, my Father was evidently turning into the one man I disliked the most.