3.3: NYC - Celebration

Stressed out, I had a moment to myself in the morning, at the suite and enjoying the day I was born.

Yep, today, I turn 31. August 8.

I've lived a year in my thirties and still haven't married to the man of my dreams, who I've wondered all night that he could have actually committed a bad crime that will potentially break us, but as a stressed out 31 year old, I let myself go for him to celebrate early last night. Then, just as soon as I woke up this morning, the reminder from my Mother that my biological clock on having children is getting closer to the end, so that didn't help at all. I calmed down from that conversation after my Brother called in to say that he'd be in New York for a day before catching the next flight out to London, and to top that off with Erika's surprise party that I accidentally found out about from her roommate, Karen. My phone hadn't stopped vibrating all morning, there were messages and missed calls from relatives and friends to greet me, however, my Father wasn't one of them. I wasn't surprised at that.

I was more surprised at the neutral state I found myself in as I soaked in the large bathtub that was fit for two, and I allowed myself to lean back and enjoyed the feeling of warm water all over my naked body under the bubbles, the smell of the lavender scent to the soap made it more relaxing. I was alone that morning, Dominic left early to do something, but at the state I'm in, I didn't care. I wanted today to be about me and being stress free, which is selfish, I know, but don't you think it's only fair after what I've been through?

"Mmmm..." My satisfied moan echoed around the large bathroom. I don't think I've enjoyed this side of the job since I became a lawyer, I supposed being in the corporate side has major perks compared to the small, run down public defenders office near the courtroom - but there was a better atmosphere and environment there than there was in Lawler & Walsh.

"Enjoying yourself?" I heard a deep tone.

"Yes," I mumbled and peeped one eye open, only to find my better half already halfway down into the water, his arm muscles flexed as he did so, and I couldn't hide my smile. I opened both eyes and sat up properly as I teasingly asked, "Who said you could come into my bath?"

"I don't need to ask permission to share a bathtub with the woman I'm about to get married too." He replied with a cheeky smile to match. He tugged at my hand and slid me around so I sat between his legs, my back pressed against his chest, my head against his left shoulder and our hands were intertwined beneath the water.

"Where did you go?"

"Sorting out something of great importance."

"Is that so?" My head shifted to turn to the side and faced him, his breath from his nose kissed my skin as he stared down at me with a strong emotion. I wanted to tell him about the note from last night, but I couldn't. Instead, I pushed against his arms and pressed my lips with his, I think I needed to be distracted again.

Which worked.

I managed to be stress free up until an hour past noon, when Dominic had to leave me to do a final meet up with the designers for the office while I had to go reunite with Hamish, who just touched down in New York with a box of chocolate he knew I'd happily devour in minutes. We were in his own apartment, a place he bought from his first two paychecks in Lawler & Walsh, and invested in it for a couple of years for the heck of it. Fortunately, the place was emptied from the previous tenants after the couple moved to Texas, so he managed to be able to stay in there a bit before he'd put it up for rent again.

As I said earlier, the box of chocolates that contained ten or twelve pieces were devoured within the one minute I waited for him in the living room.