2| The Invitation

TW : Mentions (and brief descriptions) of suicide and death.

    We passed by a few villagers while walking back to our manor. Most of them are pleasant, yet some of them could be quite a nuisance, like how a nosy farmer once spat that a woman shouldn't be carrying a bow because women are weak.

    Let's just say I was nowhere near pleased about how he declared it, and the juicy apple he was holding got punctured by an arrow. No worries, I made sure to use my dullest and poorest one.

    Reaching the spotless doorstep of our manor, our guard, Aspen, opened the thick, wooden door. "Fun practice, Lady Wyetta?" he asked with a hint of a smile.

    "It was most certainly interesting, Aspen. Thank you for asking," I answered. Aspen was one of the guards I was close with. He was the one who found me at the edge of the cliff when.. the incident happened.

    Father had ordered him to go after me shortly after realizing that I had fled out of the manor, dropping the crumpled letter behind. The letter. Her last goodbye.

    I ran barefoot across the extensive field, not even catching sight of villagers along the way. All I could picture was the sheer and steep cliff.

    Althea. Cliff. Leaving. Cliff cliff cliff.

    I was too late. When I reached the edge of the cliff, she was gone. Permanently. I started screaming at the rocky surface. She was cruel, but she was broken. I didn't spend enough time with her. She needed someone.

    Aspen arrived moments after I did. He didn't speak. He just stood behind me making sure I didn't do anything foolish. As if I could do anything more absurd.

    I remembered him carrying me back to our manor, with me thrashing and sobbing in his arms, determined to head back to the horrid site. A few minutes after that I eventually got weary, and just cried quietly in his arms.

    "Where's father?" I quizzed. Aspen tilted his head up slightly, gesturing towards the elegant, wide stairs.

    "He's on his way down, my Lady." I noticed that mother has let go of my hand, and is sauntering towards our cook.

    "There's my Artemis!" I looked up to see my father trudging down the stairs. 

    "Good evening, father," I greeted. He beamed and pulled me in for a tight embrace. 

    "Good evening. Is dinner ready yet, dear?" he asked turning his head to face mother. 

    "Lilith said it's ready," she replied.

    "Splendid, let's eat!" father stated enthusiastically. We shuffled towards the French-polished dining table and seated in the comfortable, velvet chairs. Father instantly devoured the food that was just set on the table, and also attempted to make conversation at the same time.

    "So, my little Artemis, I didn't see anything being brought inside when you arrived home. Did you hunt today?" father asked with a twinkle of mischief in his eyes.

    "Alan! The less she hunts the better," mother asserted. 

    I snickered and said, "No father, I didn't. Just practiced here and there. I must say it was a rather uneventful practice. All I did was better my aim."

    "Well, too bad. That's rather dull," father grumbled.

    I hummed in agreement. Well, I wouldn't say it was excessively dull, it was rather relaxing.