4| The Royal Ball

TW : Mentions of death, death threats, 'brief' fighting, slight uncomfortable touching- but not really into the term of sexual harassment.

    "Pull it tighter," I grunted at Mary, who was helping me tighten my white corset.

    "Are you sure, miss?" she asked.

    "Yes, I'm sure. Mary, tight- zooterkins- too tight! Mary Mary Mar- help too tight," I wheezed for air as Mary loosened up my horrendous corset with eyes as wide as saucers.

    "I am so so sorry miss! You said tighter, and I didn't know how tight."

    I took a huge whiff of air as soon as I was freed from the corset. I despise those bloody corsets with every fibre in my being.  They're lovely and make your waist look small, yes, but dad-sizzle! All my poor organs were shrieking in pain along with my lungs that were struggling so hard to breathe.

    Was it too much to ask to breathe in oxygen like a normal person? What kind of thunderation were corset founders trying to send us to?!

    "It's fine, Mary, let's try that again shall we?" I hurriedly added, "But not as tight as earlier, please." I had barely caught my breath, so it was hard to speak audibly. My poor lungs were striving so hard to do their job. 

    "Yes ma'am," Mary replied, adjusting herself to tighten the corset once more as I balanced myself by holding on to the edge of my vanity.

➵➵➵

    Sitting on the edge of my bed, I put on my black, leather boots. Yes, this was a royal ball and yes, they had written specifically to choose appropriate clothing, but they didn't specify what type of footwear now did they?

    And after all, you can't even catch a glimpse of what footwear I would be wearing unless I held up my ball gown. I decided to wear the amethyst pendant Thea had gifted me since- if she were here, she would ramble on and on upon my 'lack of jewellery'.

    I wasn't exactly a huge fan of them, but since it was a special gift from her, I loved it.

    Looking at myself in the mirror, I twirled around, causing the skirt of my beautiful gown to spread out and float about in the air. I admired my reflection for a bit, slowly gazing up and down at the girl who stood in front of me.

    Half of my wavy brunette hair was pulled back in gorgeous twirls and meeting in the middle. It was earlier done today by one of the fantastic maids, Pearl, an absolute goddess on doing people's hair. She was a real-life saver.

    My champagne-white gown flows naturally down to the soft carpet on my bedroom floor, and my corset, as much as it was a pain to put on and get used to, shaped my body beautifully.

    The intricate patterns and designs on the gown were absolutely beautiful. Mesh sleeves looking like fog clustering around my arms, lace patterns were sewn on the edge of the sleeves, and lastly, my eyes went down to the silver ring Thea had made for me. It was wrapped around my middle finger, not too loosely, yet not too tightly.

    Everything was perfect, until I remembered that I would have to greet Judith if I caught her eye. I'm not sure she would like the idea of me being around, but I should really start reciting the title 'Princess' in my head, or I would accidentally blurt out Judith instead. That's not very nice.

    I heard a knock, and the door opened with Mary peeking her head through. "Lady Wyetta? Your parents have requested for me to summon you down." 

    "Tell them I'll be right down, thank you, Mary," I smiled at her as she shut the door behind her. My gaze travelled to a picture that was set on my bedside table.