19 | Aspen

TW : Mentions of death

Aspen’s POV

    I headed out followed by Miss Adaire who was silently shutting the door behind her. We bid our farewells before I headed down to the guard’s chambers to rest up.

    I have no clue what to do when my schedule is empty now. A week ago I would be lying on the grass with Buddy leaping around me, but he's gone. Why couldn't they hurt me instead?

    I tried to forget all about Buddy as I navigated my way out the chambers, taking a short walk as I bumped into someone on the way. I looked up seeing Sir Alan's shocked face.

    “Sir Alan,” I addressed him politely, as any decent guard would.

    “Aspen,” he gasped, placing a hand over his chest. “Oh, you scared me. I'm definitely aging,” he said with a chuckle.

    “My apologies sir,” I replied. A small chuckle escaped my lips seeing how he paled.

    "Ever since Wyetta has been receiving threats out of the blue, your aunt shriekes at every sudden little movement. Guess she's rubbing off on me."

    My aunt. Lady Eleanor.

    I tried to mask my discomfort from the sudden mention of our family relations with a cough. At that, Sir Alan cleared his throat and started another conversation.

    "How have you been, Aspen?"

    I shrugged. I don't really know how to reply to this question, but it's certainly impolite for me to just shrug it off.

    "I'm coping with everything, sir."

    I find it quite awkward to address him as uncle, although I'm positive he won't actually mind. In fact, he prefers me greeting him with 'uncle' instead of a formal title.

    He hesitated before finally spitting it out. “I know your parents and I, along with Eleanor, had never truly gotten along. But that is no reason to hold Wyetta back from the truth, Aspen. I wouldn’t want to tear family away from her.” He paused, hesitating before continuing.

    “You’ve done a marvelous job at keeping her safe Aspen, in any situation that has happened, even before this ‘incident’s’ arrival. You're family, and you're the closest thing I have to a son.”

    Papa and mama never got along with uncle and aunt, some difference in positions. Uncle is living a very comfortable life, and we weren't so lucky. I remembered the day he took me under his wing, raising me 'til this day.

    I chose to be a guard and work for my living instead of depending on him, and as much as my parents acted as if they despised him, I know for a fact they didn't wish for all that to happen.

    Uncle Alan had treated me very well, constantly reminding me that I'm family, and that what had happened between him and my parents would not affect his view of me.

    "Yes sir,” I said shortly after a nod.

    He let out a sigh and smiled slightly. “Enough with the formal act, you already know to call me uncle if we aren’t in a crowd,” he nervously chuckled.

    I nodded again, laughing lightly now. It's funny how the bond between us is always so tense, yet we're comfortable.

    “Yes uncle." I added emphasis on the uncle.

    Silence sat for a minute, and finally he looked up at me.

    “Do you think it's time Wyetta deserves to know?” he asked, his hand placed on my shoulder firmly.