21 | A Royal Encounter

TW : Mentions of death/murder

I cautiously stood under the sprawling branches of the whispering trees. The short message said to meet him here. Bow in hand, I waited warily for this cryptic man.

Sensing a person behind me, I drew back my bow instinctively. All I heard was the sound of his heavy boots pressing into the dirt, mingled with the ambiance of the vast forest.

As the winds grew colder, a chill was sent down my spine for I could feel his presence getting closer. Prevising countless ways of how this dubious encounter can go astray, my heart was beating rapidly.

Finally, I decided to stop letting the suspense that has been torturing me to have its way, so I turned around and faced him.

"I reckon it's time we're properly acquainted, don't you think?" He nearly sounded amused.

"Prince Zyron."

This meeting was all too apprehensive for my liking. I searched his face for anything that would entail duplicitous goals, any signs of this being a trick. As our breath began filling the silent gap between where we stood, I hesitated before cautiously lowering my bow.

"Lady Wyetta, good to see that you have at least dropped some of your surmises. Now it's time for us to have a little talk."

"Firstly, I'm an honest person, Prince Zyron. How many times have I rehearsed that I'm innocent?" I said with an exasperated sigh.

"Quite a lot, but not enough to convince me and the people, seemingly. You're not doing a very good job at this," he confessed, a smug look on his face.

I think that what he just stated was quite obvious, seeing that we are still stood here for goodness knows what. I closed my eyes and counted to ten before catching his eyes again.

"Well, what exactly will it take to convince you, royal family, as well as the entire kingdom, that I am in fact innocent?" I quizzed him with great patience in my tone. The arrow was now back in my quiver, my bow still clenched tightly in hand.

He thought for a while before responding. "I don't really think there is a way to do so, seeing as you're just a lady," he said, ever so nonchalantly. I thought I saw a smirk on his face that was quickly masked with a look of concern.

"Just a lady? Well, apparently, you think that this lady murdered your friend."

He stayed silent at that, and I furrowed my brows together, already deep in thought. Just a lady- right. Male chauvinist pig. I knew I needed to prove my innocence soon before cruel punishments are sent my way, but how?

"I notice that you're a tad bit confused," he said after a while, seemingly taking in my expression. At least now we know he's not blind.

"Confused would be an understatement," I muttered, tilting my head to the side, "but do go on."

He smirked- almost in a wicked manner- as if he was waiting for me to ask him to go on. He's a prince for goodness' sake!

He quickly nodded to my statement before taking small steps, pacing around the clearing. His boots were pressing againts the dried, fallen leaves, crunching them in the process as he proceeded.

"You see, the witnesses, the arrows, the evidence all leads," he paused, stopping from his little walk, facing me, "to you." He pointed a finger at me as he declared that.

"Everyone knows the famous hand-made arrows made by Sir Alan Zora for his precious daughter, Lady Wyetta Zora. The insane amount of details that were focused within the making of every single arrow. The hand-carved details on each arrowhead, the feathers from black swans, each line etched by hand on its shaft. Those details are near to impossible to impersonate. And yet, as much as you defend yourself, those were the exact arrows found in the crime scene."