XI

The next morning, Áine was currently seated in her car out Amaru house. She was on the phone with her mother and smoking a blunt to get through the day. At least just for today.

"How are you my baby?". Angel asked her daughter. She pulled at the blunt and inhaled the weed, letting it settle in her lungs before releasing the fumes.

"I'm good mama. How are you?". Áine asked fixing her braids in the rearview mirror she had put in a ponytail and inhaling again. Another copying mechanism she had developed over the few weeks.

"I'm okay, just missing my baby ". Her mother mentioned.

"We talk everyday mama". Áine pointed out, looking through the rearview mirror and seeing her eyes low already and red.

"Yes but we see each other at least once every two weeks ". Her mother complained.

"If you want to see me just say so". Áine chuckled, feeling the effects of the weed finally settling on her.

"You should come and see then. Today when you done with your work, okay?".

"Okay mama. I have to go though, love you ". She glanced at the time, seeing she was just a few minutes late.

"Love you too my baby ". Angel said putting a smile on her daughter's face. After they had ended the call, Áine fixed herself in the mirror. She smeared on some lip gloss and spritz her perfume on her clothes before getting out the car

She hadn't noticed Amaru waiting for her by the front door. Closing her car door and turning around, she was startled to find his eyes fixated on her.

A blush graced her cheeks and she quickly looked down. She walked towards him until she stood in front of him.

"Morning..." She softly spoke, looking at him but Amaru stared at her noticing her low eyes and it didn't help, the weed stench was on her clothes with the mixture of her fruity perfume.

"You high?". He asked her with his brows furrowed.

"No?". She said.

"You coming to work high? Do you think that's a good idea especially with my condition? How are you going to help me when you high?". He bombarded her with questions.

Àine scrunched up her face in confusion, "uhm who are you talking to, first of all? I told you I wasn't high so why you pushing the issue. And me being high doesn't affect my work either way. It makes me work better.".

"Are you trying to put my health at risk?". Amaru asked with a mug on his face.

"Who said I was going to? I'd never put my patients at risk and besides who said weed is going to kill you?". She sassed, placing her hand on her waist. 

"Oh, are you now admitting that you are indeed faded?".

"But did I say that?". Áine questioned with her brow raised.

Amaru decided not to respond back and stared at her. His eyes traveled from her feet which were covered in black nike huaraches up to her face, meeting her red, low eyes.

Áine felt really uncomfortable under his stare. She could feel his eyes undressing her. She took this as an opportunity to question his staring.

"Why you always staring at me?". She blurted out with an attitude and her eyes fixated in slits. She didn't mean to come out hard nor with an attitude.

Amaru shook his head and a humourlessly chuckle escaped his lips.

"I'm not supposed to look now?". He questioned causing her to scrunch up her face in confusion. What was he looking at her for anyways.