XII

Stirring in her sleep and hearing the shrills of her phone ringing in her purse. Áine felt Amaru nudging her which made her whine with her eyes still closed. She didn't want to wake up because this was probably the best sleep she has had in forever.

"Wake up". She heard a deep voice besides or above her. She didn't quite know the position she was sleeping in. All she know that it was comfortable and smelled really good.

Whining again and slowly peeled her eyes opened. The room was dark with only the TV playing and muted. She wasn't at home and Áine started panicking but then it hit her where she currently was.

"What time is it?". She lowly asked, lifting her body off the Amaru's chest.

"Two in the morning". She heard from behind her.

"Damn". She cussed. She got off the bed and walked towards her purse across the room where her ringing phone was. Slipping the iPhone out of her purse, she saw over ten missed calls and texts from her family.

She rolled her eyes at their behavior. It wasn't as if she disappeared off the face of the earth. She knew wasn't ideal for her to not answer their calls because it happened before and it didn't end well for neither of them.

Calling her mother back first. She knew her mother would answer her call.

"Damn Áine do you know what time it is? Where have you been? Are you okay and why didn't you call me earlier?". Angel scolded her daughter as soon as the call connected.

"First of all, calm down-".

"-don't tell me calm down when I'm worried sick about you!". Angel snapped.

"Mama, I'm fine. I called back right?". Áine pinched the bridge of her nose, getting slowly irritated by her mother.

"So where are you?". Angel asked with an attitude.

"At a friend's house". She honestly spoke, fiddling with the straps of her purse.

"A friend? Do I know this friend?".

"No, you don't know him". Áine looked over her shoulder to see if Amaru was watching her and he was indeed looking at her. She averted her eyes back and continued her conversation with her mother.

"Him? ".

"Mama don't worry about me, okay. Now sleep and I will see you tomorrow after my appointment with doctor Celine".

"Okay baby. I love you and make sure you actually come home this time ". Áine chuckled and nodded her head before ending the call. She sighed and slipped her phone back in her purse. She scratched her braids and pulled the tight scrunchie letting them lose.

"So I'm your friend, huh?". Amaru eventually asked, breaking the silence in the room.

Áine jumped from being startled from his voice. It had completely slipped her mind he was even there. Turning around and walking towards her side of the bed, she took a seat.

"Uhm yeah". She softly said, pulling her braids into a loose bun.

"Wow didn't know that". He lowly said.

"Well now you know. Unless you don't want to be friends with me". Áine said, taking a look at him and already seeing him staring at her. He stared at her, eyes taking in her features.

She was beautiful in his eyes. Clearing his throat, he looked in her eyes causing butterflies to kind of erupt in her stomach, "nah, I'd like to be your friend".

"Really?". Her eyes lit up a bit. Amaru nodded his head
Satisfied with his response, a smile graced her face.

"You should smile more, it's a beautiful smile". Amaru complimented her causing her cheeks to puff up from the blush gracing her face.