08. JULIET AND HER ADMIRERS

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉* * *

January 1975

Juliet wanted to go back to school. Well, she was in the train on the way to Hogwarts but the ride seemed too slow.

That break was probably the worst ever. Euphemia and Fleamont were absent almost the whole time, the aftermath of the assault did not make things easier for her, the boys did not come to the Potters so James was following Juliet everywhere, and to make it worse, they ended up in an argument. Well, multiple arguments. And they have not been on speaking terms since.

The Potter girl snapped out of her thoughts when she heard a voice by the compartment door.

"O sweet Juliet, thy beauty hath made me effeminate, and in my temper softened valor's steel." Juliet looked over to see Remus leaning on the frame, his hair messy and eyes sleepy.

"Act three." She recognised.

Remus raised his eyebrows in surprise. "You know Romeo and Juliet?" He walked over and slumped down on the bench next to her. "And here I thought I could trick you into thinking I came up with it."

The only reason she knew Romeo and Juliet was because she's seen him read it and asked Lily about it. Turns out it was classical Muggle literature. The redhead sent her the play for Christmas and she read it four times. Tragic but lovely.

"And why would you want to do that, Romeo?" She mocked as he casually laid his head on her lap, bringing hsi legs up on the bench. Though he was too tall and had to fold his knees.

"Trying to steal your heart before Sirius does." The seriousness in his voice made her chuckle softly as she started to play with his hair.

"Oh, but my heart is already all yours." Juliet teased, making him smirk up at her.

After staring at the girl for a moment, he spoke up. "If you want to read more Muggle books, I could lend you some?"

Remus was desperately trying to find more excuses to talk with the girl. James entered their habitual compartment earlier, complaining about his sister, and Remus left not long after, using his prefect duties as an excuse. Truth was, he didn't know how the girl felt about him, and he would hate for her to stay away from him if things between the twins got really bad.

There was something comforting about Juliet's presence. She was friendly, and kind-hearted. She put people at ease, and made it easy for them to be themselves. He could tell she kept many secrets. Hell, he could just tell her about his nature right then.

But he shouldn't. There's this small probability that she'll fear him, and he did not want to risk it. Juliet Potter will eventually find out about his lycanthrope condition. Remus just wanted to push that conversation for another time.

"Really?" The werewolf would kill to see that sparkle in her eyes every day.

Remus nodded making her beam at him. "Thank you, Remus."

The two Gryffindor prefects chatted from then until arriving to the Great Hall, all the while completing their prefect duties. Their conversation about classical literature was interrupted by Mary Macdonald running over to Juliet, greeting both of them before giving a wild grin to the brunette.

"Somebody has their eyes on you!"

"Um.. Okay?" Juliet didn't know why that was exciting, it was not new. She wasn't as popular as the boys, but she did have a new admirer or two every year.

"Told you she wouldn't care." Lily, who was sitting down right beside them, pointed out.

"Oh, but she should because this is Marcellus McLaggen we're talking about."

"You mean that arrogant dude who insulted Marlene for 'taking his place as the keeper of the Quidditch team'?" She asked, as Remus and her sat down between the girls and the boys, ignoring her brother who was two seats further.

"Yep, that's him." Marlene nodded.

Juliet noticed how excited Mary looked. "Why is that so much of a big deal? Last year he liked Lily and we didn't see you jumping to the roof."

"That's because he knows James likes her." Dorcas raised her eyebrows knowingly, making the redhead groan. "And James can get scary so even lads that smug wouldn't try anything with her."

"Great." They heard the girl mumble.

"And," Mary continued, "I heard that he was planning on asking you out for Valentine's Day."

"That's in a month." Juliet rolled her eyes.

"Never too early for a date." Dorcas denied, winking at Marlene, making the Potter girl smile.

"Will you say yes?" Remus asked. All the girls' heads turned to the boys who listened in the conversation silently.

Juliet took a moment to think. She didn't know McLaggen, she just knew he wasn't truly known for his good manners, nor was his brother. And something inside her hoped someone else would ask her before Marcellus had the chance to. She shook her head at that thought.

"I don't know. I'll probably say yes to the first person to ask. If it's McLaggen, so be it. It's just a date, wouldn't mean anything anyway."

"You'll give him a chance?" Sirius seemed surprised.

Juliet shrugged. "Maybe he's not as bad as he seems."

Remus Lupin hoped he was worse than he seemed.

* * *

short one hehe