13. JULIET AND THE TALK

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉* * *

May 1975

Juliet Potter was reading her Charms book by the Black Lake when she was interrupted by Remus Lupin's arrival.

"Hey." She greeted warmly, glancing at him just for a second.

"Studying?" She hummed. "Don't need help anymore?"

"Nope." She replied.

A minute or two passed until the brunette was finally frustrated by his insisting stare. She shut her book close and turned to him fully. "Yes, Remus?"

"W-What?" He stuttered.

"You've been staring at me like you want to say something. Spill." She watched him patiently.

"I'm sorry, it's just- It's been bothering me and I can't understand it so-" He started to ramble.

"Remus." She called, signalling him to just say it.

"Okay." He watched the lake for a moment then his gaze traveled back to her. "Why are you okay with this?"

Juliet blinked. "I'm sorry?"

"I mean me. You're still acting normal."

She studied him, confused. "Did I miss something? I don't get it."

Remus looked around to make sure no one was there. "You know about me being a werewolf."

"So?" Juliet was starting to get impatient. Where was this conversation going?

"Then why are you not afraid? I'm a monster." The tall boy watched closely as her blank expression turned into an amused one and she started to laugh.

That was it. She was laughing. This was the moment she was going to tell him that she was just pretending to be his friend for Godric know what, and that she did think of him as an hideous creature.

Yet his heart still swelled at the sound of her laughter.

"Remus." Juliet started, getting his attention back one she calmed down. "I saw you start crying when James, Sirius and Peter ate your chocolates. Forgive me if I don't tremble at your sight."

He couldn't help the small smile that made its way to his face. "Still.."

"No, not still." Juliet shook her head and moved closer to him, taking his hands in hers. "You're not a monster Remus. And I honestly don't think you could ever become one. You're, like, the kindest person I know. You harm yourself because you don't want to hurt others on full moons."