CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED FIFTY-FIVE (Part Two): Bittersweet

For as early as Hitoshi's memories would go, it had only been him and his mother.

He has no memories of his father and his mother barely talked about him. The only thing Hitoshi knew about him was the fact that he also had a mind control Quirk like him.

He and his mother had always lived in poverty. She would work three to four jobs just to earn them enough money for a few square meter apartment and food, but she never complained, and he never did as well.

He distinctly remembers a time when he was small though, when he first saw what luxury truly meant.

His mother came across a job posting that offered more than what she had been earning in one year every month, and she decided to apply for it. It was probably too good to be true, and there was bound to be a catch, but she had to try.

She brought Hitoshi along that day because she didn't have anywhere or anyone she could have left him with. And for the reason, he was able to see how grandiose a place his mother's potential workplace could have been.

And while waiting for his mother to finish the tests they were giving her, Hitoshi looked out the window of the waiting room in the servants' building where the maids, butlers, and guards slept, and where he was waiting for his mother in.

Outside, strolling around in the Fall time, were who he presumed were the young lords of the place. One was a boy wearing a famous Pro Hero's onesie, just around Hitoshi's age, jumping around excitedly as he repeatedly created a clone of himself after letting the previous one disappear. The other young lord meanwhile, who looked to be a few years older, just happily watched and followed the former.

Those two were lucky to be living in a place like that, Hitoshi thought.

And maybe he and his mom could have lived there as well, but unfortunately, his mom failed their tests and they had to leave.

She had to continue working multiple jobs at once, and she raised Hitoshi all by herself, and she never entertained the idea of him working to help her.

Whenever Hitoshi suggests he get a job to help her with money, she'd always refuse, telling him to focus on studying instead.

Due to the nature and what his Quirk could do, Hitoshi was feared by most of his classmates, but for the same reason, they never dared to mess with him, leaving Hitoshi at a state where he never really had any friends growing up.

He could always hear their whispers calling him a villain behind his back though.

Despite his Quirk and the whispers however, Hitoshi had wanted to be a Pro Hero like those he'd see on TV or during the rare times he was walking home, and when Hitoshi told his mother that he wanted to become a hero, she was glad that her son was aiming high and she encouraged him to go for it and reach for his dreams.

So come the UA Entrance Exam that year, he entered and did his best.

Unfortunately, his best wasn't enough.

He failed the practical exams and didn't manage to get into the hero course. He had acquired enough points to get into the general course so that was nice at least.

And if that wasn't a kick on the back already, just a few days after he received his letter informing him he didn't cut into the hero course, all the years his mother spent overworking herself finally caught to her, and she collapsed and died on her way home.

He was all alone now.

What's worse is that he probably won't even get to go to UA with his mother now gone. He would have to stop going to school and get a job just to feed himself.