49. encounters

CHAPTER 49: ENCOUNTERS

                           Thursday, July 13th 2017 - Eugene, Oregon

                      I put on a random shirt in the colour of a dark, washed out green and then turn around to Harry who is still lying on my bed, stretched out, looking completely bored as he is on his phone.

 It has been a week since he moved into my house and as expected neither of my parents had a problem with Harry living here for the next few weeks until he moves to Massachusetts. However, his parents—or rather his mother—has a huge problem with Harry moving out over night without a word to her. The next day she appeared on my door step, after visiting Jess because she expected him to be at her house for some reason, to throw a tantrum and yell at my face.

 She yelled at me that I'm stupid and that Harry just uses me to rebel against her. She doesn't seem to realize that her son is nineteen years old and can make his own decisions and his own mistakes and his own experiences. He doesn't need his mother to tell him what is wrong and right. By now he is old enough to find it out himself and knowing Harry he definitely doesn't think that love belongs to the list of the wrong things.

 At the end she left but not before she told Harry he'd regret it and that I would break his heart as soon as he leaves for Harvard. He got a bit scared that his parents now wouldn't pay for his college tuition but his mother is way to keen on her son going to  law school for her to not pay for his education.

  "Is that your way of telling me you want me to take you shopping?" Harry asks as he points at my shirt. I look down at the shirt. It's not the prettiest since the imprint is almost completely gone from all the washing and it has a few holes at the hem.

  "Isn't that what gold diggers do? Give their boyfriend hints so they spend a shit load of money on them?" I tease but my words make Harry frown.

  "You know that I know you're not a gold digger. My mom was just furious when she called you that." He explains and I chuckle.

  "I know and you know that I don't really give a shit about what your mother calls me. I know what I am and what I'm not."

 Harry smiles as he sits up on my bed to properly face me, "You're so incredibly confident. How do you do that? It seems like you're never insecure about anything. Or barely. I know you are but most of the time you're so confident."

 I shrug, "I accepted who I am."

 Harry stares at me in awe as I give him this very simple answer. These five words are so easy to say but learning to accept yourself is probably the hardest thing one can do. Some need their whole life to accept who they are, some never do. I'm just blessed that I have already learned to accept who I am.

 And really there is no secret recipe on how to accept yourself. It changes from person to person and everyone has to figure it out themselves. There will be people who will make this process easier for you, some that help you grow and understand, and there will be people who will make this harder for you, who will do everything to make you feel little.

  "And life is way too short to not do or say the things you want to do or say."

  "Life lessons by Estelle Henderson." Harry chuckles.

  "So you don't like my shirt?" I change the topic.

  "Well, you've worn things that look better on you."

  "I could just go like this..." I offer and pull my shirt over my head, throwing it in a corner of my room but without taking my eyes off Harry. A grin appears on his face as his eyes are focused on my chest. He inches a bit closer to the edge of the bed.