61. cleared

DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT AND VOTE PLEASE!

__________________________________________

CHAPTER 61: CLEARED

Wednesday, July 26th 2017 - Brookings, Oregon

With a frown I enter the coffee shop which Harry and I started visiting more often. We first found out about it when Beth was sent to the hospital and then left for a while. Harry and I liked it here, we liked ambience, the employees, the customers. Every day we would sit outside for a few hours. Harry would buy me a piece of cake, every day a different sort and tell me that he used to be a baker. His employment as a baker only lasted two weeks but he claims to be the best baker in the world now.

 Harry would always order a hot chocolate because that's his thing and he would order me a Latte Macchiato. And then we'd just sit here, enjoy the sun on our skin and talk about everything that crosses our mind. We would talk about people that enter the café or cross the street. We'd talk about pets and music and how school used to be. But we never talked about Boston and how Harry is going to leave soon.

 We've been doing this for almost a week now, going to this café and enjoy our time together. It's been ten days since Frank left and it's also been ten days since Harry's arm was grazed by the bullet that Frank fired off. It's been ten days since we've last seen Sam and ten days since his message where he told me to reconsider being with Harry. I ignored Sam's second messages but when Harry and I arrived at home and we lied down and Harry fell asleep instantly, I unlocked my phone and read the message.

Sam: I love you, Stella. Loved you before you even knew him. I'm the better choice, the safer choice.

 His message was ridiculous. No matter how often he would try to persuade me, there is no other option than Harry. And I just have to make sure that Sam finally understands it.

 Harry started to get a bit sick, my mother saw it as the ultimate chance to take care of a sick child. My mother barely gets the chance to take care of me or make me noodle soup or a hot-water bottle because I barely get sick. And I know she loves doing that and she loves Harry so perfect chance for her to take care of a sick child. Most of the time my mother is just my best friend. Both my parents barely ever played the parent-card. But my mother is the most caring person I know and when she gets the chance to let her motherly feelings out, she seizes it.

 Now that Harry is sick and my mother is taking care of him, we can't spend our usual two or three hours at this local café so I thought I would leave my house for a while and bring our usual orders with me home. He can drink his hot chocolate in my bed or on our couch, wherever he is right now and my mother told him to be, and I'd sit next to him and eat a piece of cake.

 But when I enter the café, a tall blonde girl bumps into me and then angrily glares at me before she storms out of the café. I stumble backwards and look after her baffled. Vigorously, she stomps down the street. A stretched out and deep sigh pulls me back into reality and turn my head to the direction where I heard the sigh.

 In front of me I see Sam, with his head in his hands, his fingers gripping his hair. I'm torn whether I should pretend I didn't see him, order the hot chocolate for Harry and leave again or sit down with him and ask him what is wrong. When he lifs his head and sees me, it's too late for option one. I give him a sympathetic smile and walk over to him, slowly sitting down on the chair opposite to him.

  "Hey," I say and awkwardly fold my hands, "What's wrong?"

 I don't really know how to behave around him. I haven't replied to his two messages and haven't seen him since he again argued with Harry over me in front of the hospital.