18. frenzy

CHAPTER 18: FRENZY

Tuesday, May, 30th 2017 - Carmel-By-the-Sea, California

As soon as I heard the voice that interrupted Harry and me, I turn my head. My heart beats loudly in my chest. In those milliseconds I need to turn my head right, I think of every possibility: who it could be and how it would go after they found out. But too our surprise and luck, it is 'just' Dylan.

Dylan's jaw has dropped and his eyes are wide but then all of a sudden he starts laughing, leaving Harry and me confused. Quickly, I climb off his lap and stand up. Harry follows leans back to get my shirt and tosses it at me before standing up as well, facing Dylan nervously..

"What the hell are you two doing here?"

"I was just...I was looking for my phone." I stammer and try to make my voice sound firm and convincing.

"On Harry's lap? In nothing but your bra? I see, I see," Dylan laughs and then nudges Harry's upper arm with his fist.

"You can't tell Jess," I say without being responsive to what Dylan said, "or Sam. They can't know yet."

It seems like Dylan just then realizes that Harry and I both are in relationships and supposed to be faithful. Dylan's laughter dies down and he blankly looks at us. He pushes his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

"They need to know." Dylan says and my heart stops beating for a second. From the angle of my eye, I see Harry tensing up.

"But I won't be the one telling them. That is your job but you should do it soon. Jess and Sam don't deserve this." Dylan says, shaking his head and I can recognize disappointment in his blue-green eyes. Sighing, he takes of his snapback and runs his fingers through his blonde hair before putting his snapback on his head.

"Thank you." Harry says with a weak voice and nods at him.

"You should be more careful before anyone else finds out about this." Dylan warns us, folding his arms in front of his chest.

"Beth knows." I tell him whereupon Dylan raises his eyebrows.

"Oh, okay," He nods, "But you two really should be more careful. This is going to ruin a lot."

The three of us stand there in an awkward silence for a few more seconds before he nods at us again and turns around to leave. When he leaves, I feel like I can finally breathe again and let out a loud sigh of relief. Meanwhile, Harry leans back against the outside of his car and closes his eyes. 

"God, what was I thinking when I kissed you?" Harry mumbles frustrated into his hands. I take it as a rhetorical question. Obviously, he wasn't thinking and neither was I when I kissed him back. I don't know what we were thinking when we let all of this continue but here we fucking are.

"How are we ever gonna get out of this mess? I can't make Jess cry. She doesn't deserve this." Harry's voice is dripping with regrets. I chew on my lip and remain silent as I don't know what to say to this or how to make him feel better. I'm just as helpless and full of guilt as he is.

"I never wanted to hurt her," Harry continues and puts his hands down so he can fiddle with his fingers which he always does when he is nervous, "I just wanted...you...I wanted...for so lo--This is so fucked up."

His ramble of words barely makes any sense, so I just ask him carefully. "What now?"

"I don't know," He sighs, shaking his head, "I really don't know, Estelle."

 "We obviously can't continue this." I say, pointing back and forth between us. Harry gives me a small nod, "I'm sorry I let it get so far."

 "No, I'm sorry for kissing you and dragging you into this mess."