37. confrontation

CHAPTER 37: CONFRONTATION

                             Monday, June 19th 2017 - Eugene, Oregon

                        A drunken Beth plops down beside me on the armrest of the easy chair I'm sitting in as I sip on my glass filled with wine. As always the party is a great success. The music is booming, people are dancing and drinking. But to me this party doesn't have the effect it's supposed to have and usually had. It lost its excitement. I would much rather be with Harry right now. It actually scares me how much I think about him and how I'd rather be with him then be blind drunk.

  "There's still a frown on your face and no sight of a smile." Beth points out and pokes my cheek. I aimlessly slap her hand away.

  "I'll get you some shots now and you'll drink them and then we go dance. You know, Brandon's here and we both know he always wanted to lay you."

  "I'm not getting laid tonight." I deny. I won't support the rumor that I'm a slut by sleeping with a random guy just because another guy hurt me.

  "Then just tease him a bit. We've done it plenty of times. What's the matter?"

  "Just...just get me the shots." I send her away when I feel the tiny, translucent bag that I put in my bra. Beth nods and stands up.

 When she left, I turn around so the mass of people in front of me won't see what I'm doing. I take the bag out of my bra and eye the white powder inside. I've only done it once and I didn't think I would do it a second time. But I kept it after all and I'm seriously feeling like shít.

 I clamp the bag between the waistband of my skirt and my waist before standing up to walk over to the large dining table where all the drinks and snacks are placed. I stop next to Beth who is currently filling ten shot glasses with pure Vodka. The mere thought of downing all of them makes me want to throw up but if they help me forget about the mess that Harry and I have created, I'll gladly drink them.

 She pushes them over to me and I reach across the table to get a drinking straw.

  "Do you have scissors here?" I ask Beth and she nods but looks at me with a frown forming on her face.

  "Yeah...in the kitchen. In one of the drawers."

 I thank her and disappear into the kitchen with the drinking straw tightly clamped in my hand. I open each drawer and rummage around until I find a scissor. I chop off most of the drinking straw so I only end up holding a tiny part. I clamp it between my skirt and body as well, next to the bag and walk back into the living room that adjoins the dining room.

 Beth waves me over and when I stand next to her she pushes five shot glasses to me and keeps the other five to herself.

  "Let's go!" She yells and we down each of them in only a matter of seconds.

  "I'm gonna use the bathroom." I tell her after we've finished and she nods. I make my way upstairs and wait for the person who occupies the bathroom to get out.

 After a few minutes a girl from my school whose name I don't know though gets out and flashes me a weak smile on her pale face. I scrunch my nose as I enter the bathroom that welcomes me with the smell of vomit. I close the door behind me and use a washcloth that I found in one of the drawers to clean the edge of the sink. Then, I take the tiny bag out and form a little line of the addictive and destroying drug. At one sweep I snort the drug up through my nose with the help of the tiny drinking straw.

 I support myself by gripping the edge of the sink tightly as I look at the mirror. The black around my eyes makes my blue eyes look wild and my blonde hair messily frames my face. My cheeks are flushed. I shake my head and close the bag again to hide it again by putting it in my bra. I throw the drinking straw away and then leave the bathroom again to join the other's.