22. small confessions

CHAPTER 22: SMALL CONFESSIONS

                             Friday, June, 2nd 2017 - Santa Barbara, California

                     Harry looks at me when he still hears his phone ringing and then looks down at the phone to take a look himself. His eyebrows shoot up when he sees Sam's name on the display. Apprehensively, I shake my head.

  "Let's ignore the call," I say and stop his hand when he reaches out to press decline, "Ignore it, not decline it. He'll know that we caught him calling us."

  "Right." Harry agrees and pulls his hand away to grab the steering wheel again.

 His phone keeps ringing for a whole minute until it finally stops. Nervously, Harry plays with his bottom lip and I take his wrist to put his hand down, stopping his nervous habit. Harry gives me a small smile.

 At some point, we said that it didn't make sense to try and find a lonely spot where we could park the car which would be near the beach so we ended up checking into a hotel close to the beach. After we've thrown the suitcases and bags into the corner of the room, we jump onto the bed and stare up at the ceiling.

 I lift my head a bit to look out the window and see that the sun is already rising. The sky is a light pink at first and the longer I watch, the more it turns into a deep orange-red. It looks like the sky is burning. A huge orange circle appears and it seems like the sun is rising from the depths of the ocean. The higher the sun rises, the brighter it gets and at some point I can't look at it anymore.

 I lay my head down again and turn to watch what Harry is doing. In one sweep, I turn on my stomach and see Harry laying on his side, both his hands underneath his head and his legs slightly pulled up to his chest. He is tightly asleep. After all we have been up for almost twenty-four hours now and last night we barely got any sleep, too.

 I decide to let him sleep. Carefully, I take a thin blanket out from a drawer opposite the bed and put it over his body. Harry gratefully hums and immediately clutches onto the blanket, pulling it up to his chin as he sleeps curled up in a ball at the end of the bed.

 As Harry catches up one some sleep, I take a few things out of my suitcase and enter the bathroom. Turning the shower on, I remove the rest of make-up that is smeared underneath my eyes and turn up the music that is playing from my phone, not too loud so I don't wake Harry. All the cracks on it make it almost impossible to see anything but at least it still plays music.

 I take as long as possible in the shower. Eventually, I get out and wrap a towel around my body, pause the music and walk out of the bathroom. The bed takes up most of the space of the main room. Next to the bed are two little nightstands and there is a dresser opposite the bed. And that was it. However, on top of the bed is Harry but he isn't asleep anymore. Instead he leans against the headboard, his muscular arms crossed behind his head. I nearly gasp at the sight. His hair is ruffled and all over the place. He looks like he has just woken up.

  "How long have you been awake?" I ask him as I stop in the middle of the room.

  "Don't know. About twenty minutes? Your music woke me up after a while." Harry answers and rubs over his eyes.

  "Oh, I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention." I tell him and sit down next to him on the bed.

  "Did you catch up on some sleep?"

 I shake my head, "No, no. I'm not tired."

  "So you haven't slept at all?" Harry says and concern resonates in his deep voice.