11. talks

CHAPTER 11: TALKS

Monday, May, 29th 2017 - Redding, California

With a still present and wide smile, I leave Harry's room and walk down the small corridor. After I quickly put on my shirt I press my jeans against my chest. I open the door of the room Sam and I were supposed to share which is only three doors down from Harry's room and one door down from the room Dylan and Beth share.

I walk into our room until I stand in front of the two twin beds pushed together. Sam is sitting on the edge of it. His elbows rest on his knees as he types something on his phone. He looks up, only to see me standing there in just a my shirt and underwear. A hint of confusion clouds his eyes and he raises his eyebrows.

"Didn't bother to put on your jeans?"

"I'm changing into new clothes anyway." I shrug and throw my jeans onto the unused bed. Cluelessly, I stand in the middle of the small room and play with the hem of my shirt as I wait for Sam to say anything—but he doesn't.

"Are you still angry with me? I've explained everything."

"I'm not anrgy with you. I'm...I'm just pissed off."

"Sounds the same to me," I reply and I realize I was supposed to ask him why he is pissed off. I shake my head slightly and try to meet his eyes, "Anyway, what is wrong?"

"Harry, is what's wrong," Sam answers and finally puts his phone away to be able to stare me down. It is impossible to say what exactly he is feeling from just the look on his face. He seems disappointed but also annoyed and slightly mad. Maybe it's everything mixed together or maybe I'm completely reading it wrong and Sam is just confused and annoyed with me.

"I don't get why the fuck you two suddenly hang out so much. That night in Medford, when you left for the lake or whatever and he followed you. Then that morning in Medford where he kept you company when you couldn't sleep. Now you two left last night's party without telling me, or anyone. It just seems...fucking weird—"

"Harry told Jess-"

"Jess was wasted."

  "So what if I hang out with Harry? That is none of your business." I snap and cross my arms in front of my chest.

"It is my business, though. You are my girlfriend." Sam says and stands up.

"I am but that doesn't mean you own me! I don't understand why you're suddenly so bothered by me hanging out with Harry. He's always been our friend."

Sam raises his eyebrows and sighs. "Not really. You just started dragging him with you every time we hung out and then he started dating Jess."

"That was almost a year ago. He's been hanging out with us ever since and you're bothered by it now?"

"No, it's always..." Sam pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs again. He seems fed up, "Maybe I should have listened to what Jess told me before you and I got together."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean now?" I put my hands on my hips. I hate that we are fighting about Harry, or fighting in general. Because this current fight is pointless. I know Sam has every reason to be upset with me, if he knew about what was really going on between Harry and I.

"Jess told me you don't date. She said the thought of you being someone's girlfriend is ridiculous because you don't commit yourself to someone."

"And now you consider that she might be right? After we've been together for eight months, only because I hang out with Harry?"

The cause I'm fighting for, in this case my relationship with Sam, is completely hopeless. His accusations are right. I haven't been committed to one person, to Sam, ever since we started this trip. Why did Jess think going on a roadtrip with three couples would be a good idea? It was bound to become disaster. But honestly, I can't blame Jess for any of this. Harry and I have gotten ourselves into this mess.