56. lies

CHAPTER 56: LIES

Saturday, July 15th 2017 - Eugene, Oregon

Harry didn't come home. Last nigt he told me he would come home as soon as Dylan gets to the hospital. Even if Dylan never showed up, I doubt Harry had to stay at the hospital the whole night. Surely, Frank eventually left.

It's simply doesn't make us. And what is even stranger is that I haven't heard from him at all. Usually, I'm not one to sit in front of my phone 24/7, waiting for my boyfriend to tell me where he is and who he is with. But this time I couldn't help it. Ever since the clock struck 9pm and I got very confused by Harry not being back yet, I had my phone in my hand, immediately glancing at it every time I received a notification. But it was never from Harry.

I barely slept that night. Somehow I managed to convince myself that it was ok to put my phone down and go to sleep. It was 3am at that point and I still hadn't heard from Harry, so he surely wasn't going to message me then. But really, I can't even call it sleep. I was tossing and turning, waking up every hour or so to every possible noise, hoping it was Harry.

 I reach for my phone and scroll through my messages. Harry never texted or called. Sighing, I get up and my make way downstairs. As always I find my mom working on her flowers in the frontyard. 

I walk outside and sit down on the porch. As I let out a sigh, my mother looks up and takes off her gardening gloves. She wipes over her face and smears a bit of dirt on her cheek.

"You seem to be in low spirits." My mother states and brushes off the dirt from her hands on her green gardening pants.

"Harry didn't come home last night." I mumble and rest my chin on my knees, swaying from side to side. "He also hasn't called or texted me."

"Did you two get in a fight?"

  "No." I tell her and look at my phone again.

"That's strange. Maybe he's at home?" She asks and drops her gardening gloves before she sits down next to me on the stairs to our porch. Sighing, I shake my head

"I doubt it. He was with Beth."

"So why don't you call and ask her?"

"I texted her but she hasn't replied yet."

My mother puts an arm around my shoulder and pulls me into her side, "Don't worry about it too much. I'm sure he'll be back soon. I like my daughter much more with her beautiful smile on her face."

Her words make my smile grow and I chuckle to myself. She places a kiss on my head before standing up again to walk into her little hut in the backyard where she stores all her gardening supplies.

I stand as well, hoping that inside I will find something to keep me distracted enough that I'm not constantly staring at my phone. But as soon as I reach the door, I hear a car pulling into our driveway. I spin around to see Harry's car. But his car is damaged. The car door of the passenger side is completely dented. My jaw drops as I see Harry getting out of the car.

Harry slams the door shut and then walks up the path to my house. A smile creeps onto his face but his eyes are hidden by his sunglasses.

 "Hey." He says and leans in for a kiss. I turn away so his lips only meet my cheek. It's close enough for me to smell alcohol on his breath.

"Were you drinking?" I ask aghast and then look at his car, "And driving?"

Harry pushes his sunglasses on top of his head. "I'm not drunk."

"Well, where were you then last night? And why do you smell like beer at 11am."

"I was out." Harry shrugs like it's no big deal.