04. second attempt

CHAPTER 4: SECOND ATTEMPT

Saturday, May, 27th 2017 - Damascus, Oregon

The sun is shining right into my face which causes me to slightly open my eyes, dragging me out of the uncomfortable sleep I have gotten last night. When I turn around I see Harry sleeping on the driver seat, quietly snoring.

My eyes drop to my legs which I did not keep to myself the last night. They are stretched out over Harry's legs, resting in his lap as Harry moves around and grumbles things I don't understand.

Only seconds later he opens his eyes as well and the first thing he notices are my legs in his lap. I quickly pull them away and Harry sits up, trying to find a comfortable position with his morning wood straining against his tight jeans. Harry tries to cover it up with putting his hands in front of it.

"Hi." I mumble and press my palm against my forehead in hope to mitigate the painful headache.

"Mornin'." Harry replies and nods, pushing his messy hair out of his face. His curly mess on top of his head reminds me of what happened last night, how I pulled on it while he—

"I'm gonna...I'm gonna, you know, I need air." I ramble and quickly get out of the car. The fresh but still arid air finds its way into my lungs and I desperately try to get as much of it into my body as possible.

My head turns around when I hear a car door open and I see Harry getting shirtless out of his Ford Capri. He walks around it and picks up his shirt on his way. In his left hand he holds a packet of cigarettes and without a word he offers them to me.

I take one and Harry helps me light it and together we smoke, without exchanging words. I don't know if he remembers what happened last night since he drank more than me, but I remember it. And it was horrible. The sex wasn't horrible. It was really, really good. The fact that it happened is horrible. That our bodies gave in when our hearts were already taken.

"We didn't use a condom." Harry tells me which proves to me that he does remember the incident from last night.

"I'm clean and on birth control, don't worry."

"Good. I'm clean too." Harry breathes assuaged. I dare to look at him from the side and recognize that he is still shirtless. I added red marks with my fingernails to the black ink adorning his muscular upper body, mainly his chest and left arm.

"We need to find a way to cover up the hickey on your collarbone." Harry tells me and his soft index finger touches the skin where he marked me last night.

"Crap, Sam can't see me like that." I say worried.

"I can look for a shirt which doesn't show your chest and stuff since your clothes are in Sam's car." Harry offers and leaves the lit cigarette between his lips as he walks around the car again to get to the trunk.

Harry rummages for a shirt and seems to find one since he throws it at me. I take a last drag from the cigarette and throw it to the ground. Without giving it second thoughts I unbutton my blouse again and take it off to replace it with Harry's black shirt. Since it looks too baggy for my liking I tie a knot at the hem of the shirt so it shows my belly button. Luckily it covers my collarbone.

"Do you want breakfast?"

"Yes, I'm starving." I tell Harry and we get back in the car to find a small restaurant where we can have breakfast together.

I can't decide whether we are good with each other or not, whether it is awkward or not. We do talk but we are more distant. Harry grips the steering wheel tightly as he drives through the unknown town. "I'm gonna text Sam that we are awake and are having breakfast."