Chapter One.

"Come on Lindsay. We're going to be late!" I heard my Dad shout from downstairs.

"Won't be long!" I shouted back as I continued to get ready.

Today was a big day for both me and my dad. My dad Michael Byrne is the new Headteacher at Waterloo Road School in Rochdale. Today is also my first day as an official Waterloo Road student. As I stared into the mirror as I straightened my tie, it eventually sunk in and I began to feel a sense of nerves deep in the pit of my stomach. Moving schools wasn't unusual for me, if anything, I was used to it but for some reason, this time it was going to be different because my Dad told me we would be staying until I completed my exams, so I felt I had to make a good first impression.

As I was getting the last few things ready to leave, I heard footsteps approaching before there was a knock at my bedroom door. The door opened and my dad popped his head around the side.

"You ready to go?" He asked as I continued to dash around my room.

"Almost." I breathed, ticking off the list of things I had made mentally in my head.

"I'll go and wait in the car. Don't be long!" My dad ordered before closing the door and descending his footsteps downstairs.

I heard the front door shutting and I made one last rush attempt to make sure I had everything I needed. When I convinced myself I was prepared, I headed downstairs, grabbed my coat and left the house. I got into the car and we started the journey to our new venture. Waterloo Road...here we come!

****

As we drove through the gates of the school and I saw the mass of people entering the school grounds, the nerves I was feeling turned more into nausea. My dad was going to be in charge of running a school with over 600 pupils, his daughter being one of them. Even though my dad had run previous schools, I went to a different one because that's what my parents thought would be best for me. However, when my parents got divorced, I made the decision to stay with my Dad and attend Waterloo Road.

My Dad parked in his designated parking space before we both got out of the car. I stood by the car for a while and took in my new surroundings, but was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard my dad ask:

"Ready?"

I nodded and the two of us walked up the steps and entered the building that I now call my school. We headed upstairs and to my dad's office where he greeted his secretary.

"Good morning Janeece." He spoke politely.

"Morning Mr Byrne." She replied back chirpily.

Janeece was a very glamorous looking woman. Her hair was styled perfectly with not a strand out of place, her make-up was immaculate and she was very stylish in terms of fashion sense. She proceeded to introduce herself to me when she could see me standing there, looking a bit out of sorts.

"Hiya. My name is Miss. Bryant or Janeece." She spoke happily, a permanent smile on her face.

"Hi. I'm Lindsay Byrne." I replied, returning a friendly smile back.

"Wait...you're not Mr. Byrne's..." Was all Janeece could say before my dad interrupted her.

"Yes Janeece, she is my daughter but when we are in school, I am her Headteacher and she is my pupil. Can you please print off Lindsay's timetable?" He asked to which she nodded.

Whilst Janeece was doing this, my dad called me into his office. His office was very modernised with a black and white colour scheme running throughout. He went and sat behind his desk whilst I stood in the middle of the room, rather awkwardly.