Chapter Fifteen.

Finn's P.O.V

As the police car pulled up the street and stopped outside my house, the engine was switched off and the lights, which had just been illuminating the street, had dimmed significantly.

Glancing outside of the back window, I could see that the light in my living room was on, cementing the information that someone was still awake. Great...this is all I needed!

"Out you get now, Mr. Sharkey," PC Hadley told me, watching me remove my seatbelt. "I've got to go and visit Mr. Stack." He added, starting up the engine of the vehicle again.

Thanking the police officers for the ride home, I stepped out of the car onto the pavement, shutting the door behind me. Seconds after the door had been closed, the car sped away, not in a position to hang around.

I stood at the bottom of the steps for a while, debating whether or not to message someone to ask if I can stay at theirs, but when I looked up at the darkening sky above me, I realised it was probably too late.

Sighing, I trudged up the steps towards my house, rummaging through my satchel in search for my keys. Feeling my fingers retrieve them, I inserted them into the lock, loosening the door from the frame. Pushing it open, I tried closing it as quietly as possible but I knew I'd failed in doing so when I heard my dad shout my name:

"Finn!"

Judging by his tone of voice, I could already tell he was angry.  Anger was a well-known emotion of my dad's and when he was in this kind of mood, you wouldn't dare defy him.  At the sound of him calling my name, I walked into the open-plan living and kitchen area, where I saw him sat on the sofa drinking a glass of wine and watching something on the television.

To be honest, I was rather shocked to see him doing something 'normal' for a change because majority of the time, his life revolves around work. When he set eyes on me, he took another swig of the liquid in his glass before he placed it down on the coffee table located in the centre of the room.

"Where have you been exactly?" He asked, a sense of irritation already apparent in his features.

"I've been at Lindsay's house." I replied, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Don't lie to me!" He yelled, making me close the fridge door and look back at him again.

"It's the truth!" I exclaimed, walking over to the seating area of the living/kitchen area. "If I was going to lie, I'd have made it a bit more interesting than that!"

"Why did the police drop you home?" He questioned, downing yet some more wine from his glass, the volume inside it decreasing and I knew he'd been secretly watching through the window.

"Mr. Byrne's car got vandalised at school today and he asked me to keep Lindsay company whilst he spoke to the police." I answered but remembering how stubborn my dad was, he probably wouldn't believe me anyway. "And before you ask me who Lindsay is, she's my girlfriend and Mr. Byrne's daughter."

"That still doesn't explain why the police dropped you home!" He fumed. "You've clearly done something wrong. There's always trouble when you're around." He spat, his words like venom.

"How would you know that?" I quizzed rhetorically. "You're never around!" I screamed back, quickly realising that I shouldn't have.

"That's right...throw it back in my face! You know the reason why me and your Mum work hard is to give you everything you've ever wanted or needed!" He roared, his face becoming redder as the anger raised within him.