Chapter Thirteen.

Michael's P.O.V

I've just finished doing lunchtime detention with Finn but it came to no surprise that Kyle didn't bother showing up. That boy is such a difficult character to deal with that I am beginning to run out of options of where to go with him, or even help him for that matter. It just seems to be that whatever we do here at Waterloo Road isn't good enough and all the effort we put in keeps getting thrown back into our faces.

Entering the main office, I saw Janeece sitting at her desk, a sandwich in one hand and a magazine in the other. Once she'd heard me enter, she immediately put down both, looking rather embarrassed that I caught her eating.

"Sorry Mr. Byrne." She spoke, brushing away a few crumbs that had fallen.

"You are entitled to a lunch break Janeece," I commented, opening the door to my office. "Actually, when you are finished, can you track down Kyle Stack for me please?" I asked, taking a seat behind my desk.

"Actually, he hasn't been marked present for any lessons today. I'm guessing he isn't even on school grounds." She simply replied, standing in the doorway to my office.

I looked up at her, pulling on my tie to straighten it from it's current wonky state.

"Well, can you try and get hold of Mrs. Stack for me and forward the call into my office? I need to know his whereabouts." I queried, lifting up the lid to my laptop as I needed to get on with some work.

"Of course Mr. Byrne!" Janeece exclaimed, shutting the door to my office once she'd left.

Whilst I was waiting for my laptop to load up, I began organising my desk, which is when I found the letter Finn had written to me. I picked up the envelope, not hesitating to open it. Pulling the letter out, I unfolded the paper to see reams of Finn's handwriting covering the A4 sheet. With that, I began reading.

To Mr. Byrne,

Over the past week, I have had a lot of time to think about everything I have done and I just want you to know that I am truly sorry for the way I've treated you. Ever since you started here, all you have tried to do is look out for me but I threw it all back in your face, so for that, I apologise. I guess I'm not used to having people look out for me and reassure me that I am capable of achieving things that I didn't know were possible for me.

I also just want to say a massive thank you for providing me with a third chance to prove myself because in hindsight, I definitely don't deserve it! You are one of the best Mr. Byrne!

Before I conclude this letter, I felt I should mention that, I think Kyle is planning something against you. I don't have any inkling as to what it may be but his words were 'You are a dead man walking', so I would tread very carefully around him.

I am not going to let you down again...I promise you!

Yours Sincerely,

Finn.

Wow! I have to say, I'm in shock at the letter I have just read. It has been written in such a grown-up way and I already know that Finn has an incredibly bright future ahead of him, if he chooses the right path. This is the part of my job that I love because I don't want to see pupils like him throw his life away for the sake of a few silly mistakes and I'm proud that I have given him the opportunity to rectify his mistakes. Finn is very street smart but gets easily led astray but with support, can get back onto the right path.

Kyle Stack on the other hand? I am in awe at how much that boy hates me. Am I really that much of a hate target towards him when all I have done is try to help him stay on the straight and narrow? Eager to read over the letter once more, I was interrupted by a knock at the door, not waiting for permission to enter.