Chapter Twenty-Four.

Michael's P.O.V

"So, who shall I send the invoice to?" The workman asked as I escorted him and his colleague down the corridor and to the main entrance of the building.

"Charge it to the school please. I'll make sure it comes out of our budget." I answered, reaching up to unlock the door before pulling it open. "Thank you both for your time. I appreciate you coming out at such short notice." I added, motioning for them to walk outside.

Turning around to thank me, they both headed outside and over to their works van, which happened to be parked in the school grounds. Watching the vehicle reverse out of sight, I shut the doors and locked them again, knowing that I was the only one left in the building.

Strolling down the eerie and dark corridor, I climbed the stairs back up to my office, closing the door behind me. Once inside, I began organising my desk as well as completing a few outstanding jobs I had left over from the day, not wanting to keep them until tomorrow.

Glancing up at the clock once I'd finished doing what I needed to do, I saw that it was now pushing 6.45pm and I still hadn't heard from Lindsay since earlier on this afternoon. Not wanting to wait around any longer than I needed to, I sent her a very quick text, just so she could provide me with an update on hers and Finn's whereabouts.

Mr. Byrne: Hey darling. Just sending a quick to ask how much longer you are going to be in town? You will have to meet me outside the fire escape because the rest of the school is locked up and you won't be able to enter. See you soon. Love you. Dad x

Lindsay: Hey Dad. Me and Finn r waiting 4 the bus now. Txt u when we are outside. C u later x

Satisfied with the response I was given, I decided to use my time wisely and make a start on updating some of the policies and procedures that were coming up to their review date. That was until...I heard the sound of what seemed to be a door being kicked through, a loud bang resonating throughout the whole school.

Stopping what I was doing, I continued to listen for any further noise or movement, but weirdly, nothing else could be heard. Shrugging it off, I continued editing the on-screen policy documents but was interrupted moments later by yet another loud bang.

Confused as to what may be causing all this noise, I stood up from my chair and wandered into the corridor to investigate exactly what was happening in my school.

"Hello!" I called but received no answer. "Is anybody there?"

Convincing myself that I was just hearing things, I turned on my heels and strolled back into my office. However, I soon realised that I wasn't going crazy when I heard footsteps getting closer and closer, their sounds increasing in volume.

The heavy footsteps trudged up the stairs in the direction of the English corridor, which was also the one that was adjacent to the office/reception area. I sensed the closeness of the figure more now, their breaths echoing as their footsteps faltered, eventually stopping completely.

Without reluctance, I turned around, feeling the need to face the figure and I was shocked when I stood face to face with the person opposite me.

"Mr Byrne!" They jeered, trying to revoke a reaction from me. "Long time no see..." They added, expressing that all-too familiar smirk.

"What are you doing here, Kyle?" I questioned, coming to terms with the fact that Kyle Stack was stood opposite me.

"Just thought I would swing by..." He slyly spoke. "Call in for a quick catch-up with my most favourite Head." He muttered, his grimace not dropping, trying his absolute hardest to get a negative reaction from me.