Chapter Two: Breakfast Foods and Beer

Chapter Two – Breakfast Foods and Beer

          “So you’re telling me that your brother, the sex god extraordinaire met a girl he wants to pursue seriously so he’s lying about you being his sister, which means that you have to pretend to be Iain’s girlfriend?” my best friend, Mellie asked, after I’d just explained the whole situation.

          “That’s exactly what I’m saying,” I said, getting my AP Physics book out of my locker.

          “I would be so hot on that like you have no idea. The things I would dream about doing with Iain Beattie, good lord,” Mellie said, in her typical promiscuous fashion, “Oh my god, you’ll get to kiss him! I mean, you’re fake dating and all.”

          “Mellie, he’s my brother’s best friend. He’s known me since I was like two.”

          “Look me in the eyes and tell me that you don’t find him attractive,” she sighed. I looked at my feet.

          “Fine, he is fine as fuck,” I sighed, “But I can’t get too into this. I mean, he’s my best friend’s brother, and we’re only pretending to date, not actually dating.”

          “Doesn’t mean you can’t reap the benefits,” Mellie winked, “Well look-y there.” She pointed to a hot guy and ran off to go ‘reap the benefits’ I suppose. I loved Mellie, I did; she was basically my sister. But I couldn’t help but think that the trouble that she went to for a night with a boy wasn’t worth it. Half the time the guys she chased weren’t even good in bed, so what was the use?

          I walked along home, in the hot sweaty weather of late summer. I was glad I’d worn a skirt to school as opposed to jeans, but I was still practically dying. I’d never really minded walking home from school. It was only a ten minute walk, and asking for a car had only caused more arguments within my broken family.

          “Kitten, it is ninety degrees out. Get in.” I heard Iain’s deep voice from the car slowed at the curb.

          “Come on, Kit Kat! You can hop in and you can tell me all about your day,” Ben said from the passenger seat.

          “I’m fine walking,” I said.

          “I dinnae ask that, I said to get in,” Iain said.

          “I’m fine.”

          “Fuck it, Kitten. I said to get in my damn car,” Iain sighed.

          “Fine, god, get rid of your attitude!” I sighed, and hopped into the backseat. I flopped my book bag aside and sat Indian style.  

          “How was school?” Ben asked, turning around like a proud parent.

          “It was fucking high school, Ben. You graduated three years ago. You should remember,” I sighed.

          “Wow, someone’s crabby today,” Iain grunted.

          “It’s a thousand fucking degrees. I have a mountain of homework, and I’m only going to have about an hour to do it before mom and dad get home and start yelling and screaming and I just want to go home, because I’m exhausted. They fought all last night and I don’t think I slept at all,” I sighed.

          Iain took off, speeding like the terrible driver he was. I sighed, and hummed along softly to the song playing on Iain’s system. I was glad I didn’t live far away because the sooner I got home the sooner I could get everything done.