Chapter Eight: Donuts and Disappointment

Follow me for more updates and information about Best of  Friends and my other stories. 

Chapter Eight – Donuts and Disappointment

          Ben and I had always been pretty close. I mean, we fought as much as any other brother and sister would. But in the end, he was still my overprotective big brother, and I was still his baby sister.

          He beat kids up on recess that picked on me. He was always there when I woke up in the middle of the night with nightmares. He was the one awake late at night when I came home from wherever I’d been and we’d sit and have coffee before bed.

          But things were changing. We were getting older. I guess, I didn’t really know what I was expecting. I mean, as we grow up, we’re meant to separate, right? I guess that’s just what’s happening. Only I’m not really ready for it.

          I knocked on the door to Ben’s apartment. It was nearly four pm, and I knew Ben didn’t have to work today.       I was hoping to catch him so we could talk. I desperately needed a nice sit down talk with my brother. I’d even brought him his favorite doughnuts from Geraldine’s.

          “Hey kitten,” Iain answered the door, “What’s up?” he asked. He was sweaty and his shirt was in his hand. He was a little out of breath as well.

          “Is Ben here?” I asked.

          “Nope,” he said, “He’s out with Olivia. He should be coming home sometime soon though. You can wait if you want.”

          “Thanks,” I said, sighing, “Why are you all sweaty?”

          “I was working out,” he said. Iain was fit—he always had been due to the way he handled his stress. Whereas I found solace in picking things up and cleaning, he found his comfort in running or lifting weights or any other strenuous activities. 

          “What’s bothering you?” I asked.

          “Just my last year in college, it’s not easy, Kitten,” he shrugged. He ran a hand through his hair.

          “Nothing is ever easy,” I said. Iain dropped down to a pushup position, tucking one arm behind his back and proceeding to do countless pushups. I turned on the TV and pretended to be more interested in the show on TV than the sexy, sweaty and shirtless guy in front of me.

          “Hey, Kit, would you mind sitting on my back? The extra weight would be great,” he said.

          “Sure,” I said. I laid down on his back, our backs touching. He dipped down and did a pushup.

          “You’re going to make me fall off,” I squealed.

          “You’re not going to fall off,” he sighed, doing another push-up. I still felt like I was falling, but even after what felt like a hundred pushups, I hadn’t fallen.

          “Hey Kitten,” Iain started.

          “What?” He dipped down quickly, and I started to fall off of his back. I screamed, and somehow, miraculously he caught me and laid me gently on the hardwood floor underneath him.

          “Iain,” I growled, “That was not fun.”

          “I disagree,” he said, doing a pushup on top of me, our lips meeting. He kissed me and then pushed back up.

          “Iain,” I rolled my eyes and he repeated the process of doing a push-up, and catching my lips with his on the down part. It was sort of annoying—mostly because the kisses were too short and I was trapped beneath him.