Chapter 55. T

Antonio

🥃🥃🥃

"Can I have another shot?"

"No." All the men in the room shout at once. We've been in my grandparents' villa since two days ago. Partying and having fun before the big day.

"Okay. Damn, no need to shout." Mateo mutters a 'Jesus Christ' under his breath.

Today is October fifth. Which means it's Mateo's and his longtime girlfriend, Carina, wedding.

We're in the second biggest bedroom beside the master's. That one is occupied by the ladies. And it's on the opposite wing, so no 'accidental' run-ins between the bride and groom will occur as we know they're dying to see each other.

"[You already had two, Mateo.]" my Nonno tells him in Italian.

"Two too many," say, pointing at him with the hand holding my whiskey. He snarls at me and my drink, then shakes out his hands, visibly nervous.

Leo comes over and starts massaging his shoulders.

The groom looks dapper in his off-white suit. The groomsmen—me, Luca, Leo and a friend of his—are all sporting black suits with white dress shirts. His best man—his best friend—can be recognized by his bow tie instead of a regular tie.

"Relax, son." His father stands in front of him and fixes his already perfect tie.

"There's nothing for you to be nervous about." Luca tells him, glancing between him and his phone. Probably texting his girlfriend.

"Easy for you to say." He retorts. "You're not the one getting married."

I can't help but smile. It's not every day you see Mateo nervous. He's usually laid back and internalizes his feelings and lets nothing show.

"Anton got married recently," Leo gestures with his head to me, his hands busy still kneading Mateo's shoulders. "Maybe he can give you a few tips to calm your nerves down?"

Mateo looks at me expectantly, actually wanting to hear what tips I have.

I swirl the liquid in my glass. "I wasn't nervous so I don't have any tips for you." I swallow the last sip, hiding my smirk behind the glass.

"Kiss my ass." He flips me off.

"But seriously," I say, "There's nothing for you to be nervous about. Everything will go perfectly. Just as planned."

Everyone starts saying reaffirming words to him and his shoulders loosens a bit. Not sure if it's because his nerves have calmed or because of Leo's massage. If it's the latter, I'll need him to give me one of those magical massages some time.

Ashley, the photographer assigned to the groom's room, has been snapping pictures of us all morning. Even filming our little bantering moments.

"Thirty more minutes to go." Ashley exclaims.

"Oh, shit." Mateo mumbles. All our work to get him to calm down out the window. "What if she gets cold feet?" He asks more loudly.

"She won't." We all say a disagreement with his statement.

For the next five minutes, we try to distract him by just joking around. His best man, Jacob, says the wrong thing, though.

"This is gonna be lame. There are no hot bridesmaids that are also single." He throws his hands in the air. "Who am I supposed to hook up with?"

Silence takes over the room, all eyes on him. He doesn't take the hint because he continues talking, "I guess there's still your sister—"

Before he even finishes that word, we all groan and shake our heads. Luca shoves his shoulder playfully. "Her father's in the room, you idiot."