16

I look at Chan.
He didn't know of this, judging by his surprised look.
I look back at Jung Wook.
I almost drove Stray Kids into ruin by getting them photographed in front of a casino. Why would he want to offer me my literal dream job? Where is the hook?

"Why would you do that?"
A small smile sneaks onto his lips and he leans forward again, leaning on his forearms.
"I need you to be the bridge. I want you to become an influencer with complete creative freedom, as long as you include material with Stray Kids. JYP will help you build a regular audience, we'll provide you with the tools and programs to create high-quality videos for social media. Stray Kids is my most successful group right now, but most of its fans are within our borders. That needs to change. I want you to help me make Stray Kids an international phenomenon. Get the message out there. Show your friendship with them. Show how things work behind the scenes of music video shoots, on days off, you know what I mean."
"You want me to be Stray Kids personal documentation guy?"
"No," he says, "You will mainly create content that only showcases yourself. But let's say, two to three videos per month will feature Stray Kids and your life as a backup dancer for JYP."
"But I'll still be employed as an official background dancer?"
"Yes," Jung Wook nods, "We'll draw up two different contracts to make it easier for the both of us. One for your employment as dancer, one for your employment as content creator."

I stare at the table, trying to comprehend what has just been offered to me. Chan looks at me, but I don't know what to do.
Being a professional dancer is everything I ever wanted. But this seems too good to be true.
"You'll pay me to be friends with the boys from Stray Kids in front of the whole world?"
Chan clears his throat, and says, "Think about what that would mean for you, Ollie. You'd be in the public's eye almost every day."
He's right. Would I be able to withstand the constant surveillance by  photographers and paparazzi? 
But I think about standing on a stage, the music all around me, dancing in front of thousands of people, and everything else fades away. I could try this. I could even try to be the content creator Jung Wook wants me to be.
"I'll do it," I say and nod, "I take the offer."

Jung Wook smiles satisfied and folds his hands in front of his face.
"Good choice," he says then, "We'll draw up a contract and send it to you over the next few days along the filming equipment, a practice schedule, and anything you'll need to create creative content. You'll start next Monday on probation for a month."
He reaches out his hand and I shake it.
My mind is empty.
A tiny voice in my head tells me that this is too easy, that this can not be happening. But I don't listen and push it to the far end of my mind where it's drowned out by the much louder, much happier voice in my head screaming that I made it.

I space out for a while and the next thing I know, I'm back in Chan's car. We're about to leave the parking garage, but I barely notice it.
What I do notice is Chan, who takes my hand in his and writes into the palm.

R U OKAY?

I turn to face him. Tears rise in my eyes and everything goes blurry for a moment.
"God," I sob, "I am so overwhelmed right now."
Chan chuckles and places his arm around my shoulder. He pulls me closer until I can cuddle my face into his chest.
"I can't believe this is happening," I say after a moment, "Thank you, Chan."
His hand rubs my arm and he presses his lips to my forehead.
"This was all you, Ollie. I'm very proud of you. We should celebrate this! The boys are going to be so happy, oh my gosh. Felix will flip out, he'll go bat shit crazy over this."