𝟘𝟘𝟟

"W-What the hell is this?" Jeffrey gaped in utter revulsion as he flipped on the rest of the lights

    "T-They were here..." (Y/N) trailed off, her stomach knotting itself as a wave of nausea passed over her.

Placing a hand on her shoulder, Jeffrey then did a thorough sweep of the apartment to make sure that the supposed gift in the kitchen was the only surprise that night. After that, they slowly started to get to work, mechanically almost as if they were machines programmed to do so. Jeffrey took pictures with his phone before setting out to clean the mess, telling (Y/N) that he could handle it and to go take a shower to ease her mind.

She was quite thankful.

The image of blood kept presenting itself in her mind, making hallucinations sprout. Blood now ran over her skin in a thick torrent; under her nails, even in her teeth when looking in the mirror, clawing at herself to stop seeing these grotesque things.

But no matter what she did, all she could see was the blood.

The cat.

And that cryptic note with a meaning all too obvious to anyone bearing sight of the it.

A vivid nightmare came to her that night that, instead of a cat, it were her or Jeffrey or even Sam and Dalia who were on the floor dead and motionless, just staring up with those blank glassy eyes that screamed death. She actually did wake up with a scream. A cold sweat ran down her back as her cheeks flushed and her body trembled, Jeffrey trying over and over again to soothe her as her breathing stayed ragged.

It wasn't like her to get that upset.

She never was easily spooked.

But something about the whole situation, about everything leading up till then, unnerved her and set her on edge.

What the hell is wrong with me?"

Now a week later with no more gifts showing up thankfully, (Y/N) rubbed her forehead with one hand while a cup of coffee still warm was pressed into the other. Jeffrey was farther in the kitchen, working on a delicious breakfast whose smell wafted through the air. As she watched her boyfriend work, she couldn't help but think back to those days when she didn't have to worry about any of this.

She missed those days.

And that poor cat...

Why did they do something like this? And why the fuck are the police doing nothing?

She remembered that after the incident that night, she and Jeffrey when to the office the next morning to demand to see the tapes, but they couldn't find anything. No one breaking through the doors, windows, or other means of access. While there was also no sign of forced entry, it was obvious that someone else had been coming to and from their home without anyone's—not even the cameras—knowledge.

And yet the police still did nothing. Now, she contemplated what to do.

"Hey, (Y/N), breakfast is ready," Jeffrey announced as her served her a small portions due to her concerning lack of appetite. "You want any?"

The grumble of her stomach answered him.

"I'll take that as a yes."