𝟘𝟙𝟠

Driving back home, irritated, (Y/N) clutched the steering wheel so tightly the pressure started to hurt, the twitch in her eyebrow and the frown on her lips hinting at her already foul mood

Dammit.

The system was wiped clean... how?

How the fuck did they do that?

Pulling up into the driveway of the apartment, she sighed, resting her forehead on the cool plastic and wishing that there was something—anything— that could point her in the right direction in how to catch this person that seemed to think it was okay to mess with her life.

They're isolating me.

From my friends, from my everyday activities, my sense of safety...

Even Jeffrey...

I've lied and snuck out... betrayed his trust...

I wonder, is he up? Does he know that I left? Or is he still sleeping not knowing what I did? Well, it's not like I found anything useful... only a creepy room with no owner.

Deciding to to procrastinate any longer, she turned off the engine and slowly walked up the steps, opening the door to the apartment and finding that Jeffrey was indeed up, pacing around the room in a frantic daze with his phone in hand. When hearing her walk in, he turned around abruptly and sighed in relief, rushing up to her and squeezing her tightly.

"Fuck, (Y/N)..." he whispered, running his hands through her hair. "I thought... I thought something happened to you..."

"I'm sorry, Jeffrey..." she murmured, pulling away from him. "I really am."

"Where the hell did you go?" He questioned, glancing her over to see if she was hurt. "You already knew that I didn't want you out... why would you go and do something so rash?"

"I'm sorry," she repeated, feeling as if her whole world was crashing down around her when looking in his dark eyes filled with worry.

Worry for her.

I need to do this... I need to.

If I can't... what will happen to him?

"Jeffrey..." she began, voice shaking and cracking at the last syllable of his name. "I can't... I can't do this anymore."

He sighed, "I know you're scared, but we will—"

"We need to break up," she interrupted him, the look of shock, hurt, and bafflement instantly crossing his expression. The look only made her want to curl in on herself as she continued, "After tonight... I can't let this relationship continue unless I want to endanger you. And I can't let that happen."

"W-What do you..." he stuttered, taking a step forward, eyes widening when she only stepped back. "W-Why are you suddenly saying this? Why are you trying to burden only yourself with this?"

She could say nothing, only letting her gaze cast to the ground.

They'll hurt him.

I know it.

From what I saw in that storage room to Ken's death... it's only a matter of time before they go after the one person still with me.

Inhaling deeply, lips thinned as she looked at Jeffrey one last time, she turned and bolted, running down the steps and flinging herself in the car, not once looking back.

The man's cries echoed in her ears calling after her.

She felt a tear slip down her cheek.