𝟘𝟙𝟡

Driving around for what seemed like hours, (Y/N) finally stopped at one of the smaller motels after picking up a few supplies from a drug store—not once having thought about the after when breaking up with Jeffrey—and checked in

Driving around for what seemed like hours, (Y/N) finally stopped at one of the smaller motels after picking up a few supplies from a drug store—not once having thought about the after when breaking up with Jeffrey—and checked in. Flinging herself onto the stiff bed, she covered her eyes with her arm, sick and tired of everything that had just unfolded.

     Just ending things with him won't protect him, I suspect...

     But...

     How do I even unmask this person?

     I don't even know where to start... I mean, even the police don't have any evidence at all! This person... they're too good at hiding, and all too good at showing us just enough to keep us on their trail.

     Fuck...

     This is like a nightmare.

     Flinching when the sudden sound of a cellphone ringing filled her ears, she dug into her jackets pocket for her phone, upraised when finding Suk-Jin's name plastered over the collar ID.

The detective?

Why is he calling me?

"Hello?" She answered, the ruffling of papers being heard before he too eventually spoke.

"Miss (L/N)?" He sounded out of breath, almost excited even. "I had to confirm it just to be sure, but I'm positive that with this new piece of evidence that has come to light, we'll be able to catch our perp."

"Wait..." she stood up, (E/C) hues having widened. "Are you serious?"

"Yes. Where are you now? Can you come to the station?"

"I'm... at a nearby motel," she said, running her hand through her messy hair as she once again grabbed her keys and coat and began to walk out of the door. "I'll be there in a few minutes, but... what's this 'new piece of evidence' that you're talking about? Can it really help us find our guy?"

A stretch of silence answered her question.

"Hello? Mr. Lee?"

     "You're... at a motel?" He instead interrogated, the almost ridicule in his tone making her take the phone away from her ear and look down at it in surprise. "What do you mean you're at a motel!? Don't you know how dangerous that is given your current situation? I thought you already had accommodations at a safe place with your boyfriend! Is he there? It's unwise for you to be alone."

     "Mr. Lee, calm down," she interrupted his monologue. "I... can't stay with him tonight, you need to understand. Besides, I'm sure this person won't think I'd be at a motel."

     Unaware to her, the man had taken off his glasses and set them down to pinch the bridge of his nose in exasperation.

     "This person has killed someone, Miss (L/N)," he tried to explain, hoping that she'd put personal feelings aside and try to be reasonable. "What's to say they won't do the same to you? Safety always comes in numbers, remember that."

     "No, sir," she exhaled softly, massaging her forehead as she told herself to calm. "I'm sorry to go against your orders, but this is the best that I could do."

     A deep sigh could be heard on the other line before, "Then... come stay at my place."

"