Chapter10: Welcome To The Volturi

Chapter 10

The sun continued to climb as Jasper raced the pretty, purple Porsche. It was too bright and it heightened my happy feeling. Demetri was so quiet in the back, I can say that he was not there. He looked peaceful and harmless reading my book. As I drained the contents of the bottle Demetri has given me which was Mountain Dew, I didn't realize we were now nearing Volterra.

" Volterra. " Jasper announced and when I looked outside the window, my eyes glinted with excitement.

I was staring at the ancient sistema walls and towers crowning the peak of the steep hill. For the second time, since the whole Olympic coven and me visited Volterra, I can say again that the city was beautiful.

Jasper understood that I needed silence to think better and to be ready for the biggest change in my life.

We began the steep climb, and the road grew congested. As we wound higher, the cars became too close together for Jasper to weave in and out between them anymore. We slowed to a crawl behind a little tan Peugeot. I know Jasper was hurrying because he was worried about the sunlight. 

" Demetri, I suppose you go there first? Bring Bella.? " Jasper suggested in a low voice.

" No. I want you to be with me. '' I protested and pouted my lips. Jasper saw it and he laughed absentmindedly. I'm now itching to be change into a vampire so I could be with Jasper for the rest of my existence.

" Okay. But I think I have to get rid of this car first. " Jasper said.

" Get rid of this?! Jane might love this Porsche! " Demetri said in a surprised voice.

" Yeah Demetri, whatever. " Jasper said and he leaned in to kiss my cheek. His soft kiss sent tingles all ove rmy body. I cant' help myself giggling.

Jasper drove, his tranquil face set in a firm expression. He seemed tense? For what? Seconds ago, all was well. 

" Jasper, what's wrong? " I muttered, worried and a frown on my pale face.

" Nothing, Bella. It just makes me upset thinking about my old coven. Maybe they were all very worried now about me. "

" Jasper, calm down. Okay? After all is settled, we'll send them a letter or a call to let them know where we are. I guess Aro wouldnt mind Carlisle and his family visiting him, would he? "

" HE won't mind Bella. And address him with more respect once you're in his presence. Call him Master. As well as Master Caius and Master Marcus too. " Demetri said from behind.

" Oh. You're still there? " I asked.

" Of course. What'd you think? I'll be swallowed by your book? " He replied. A smirk on his mouth.

I didnt answer and only moved my butt when Jasper stepped on the brakes and the Porsche came into a halt. People were staring at us. Oh not us. To the car and the two gorgeous vampires who were with me. Their eyes slid past me like I was invisible and they coulnt even see me. The heat from the blazing sun scorched my ivory white skin slightly. My eyes squinted and I feel like I'm going to be blind from the sun. I looked around me and took notice that we just parked below the Clock Tower or the Palazzo dei Priori. I realized that Demetri and Jasper were still inside the car. I rapped on the window and both of them looked at me. I shrugged at them and a question look on my brown eyes. Demetri rolled down the window and told me to get inside the alley. I obeyed him and stood there like a statue for a moment. Finally, the two of them opened the door and in a vampire flash ran inside the safe place.

" The bags?'' I asked stupidly.

" We'll get them later. Besides, there's a lock on all four doors. " Demetri pointed out.

I nodded and dragged my excited feet. My converse looked worn out but it didnt mattter anymore. I'm now excited to meet the rest of the Volturi.

We walked in silence and jasper gave me an encouraging smile. Demetri was fast on his feet. Missing Jane much? Haha. 

The walls looked ancient and strong. It looked like no hurricane, or storm can even destroy this beautiful walls. Demetri led the way. Of course, he's one of the guard so he must have memorize all the turns and dead ends here.

There was a loose curve in the alley still slanting downward. I didnt see the squared-off dead end coming until we reached the flat, windowless, brick face. Demetri strode towards the wall and he slid down. I totally forgot that this is where we have went through when we last visited this place. 

" I'll slid down first Bella. I'll catch you. " Jasper said and then he slid down. I didnt have any thoughts and then slid down myself in the small, black hole. Jasper caught me. I'm going to have bruises later because his arms were hard and marble-like.

" Thanks. " I muttered and he gave me breathtaking swift peck on the lips.

Demetri rolled his eyes and we began to continue walking. It was dim but not black in the bottom. The light from the hole above provided a faint glow, reflecting werly from the stones under my feet. The light vanished for a second, and then both Jasper and Demetri were a faint, white radiance beside me.But then, the dim light from the street was quickly lost in the gloom. The sound of my staggering footsteps echoed through the black space. Finally in the end of the tunnel was a grate, the iron bars were rusting but thick as my arm. A small door made of thinner, interlaced bars was standing open. Jasper and Demetri ducked through and hurried to a larger brighter stone room. The grille slammed shut with a noisy clang followed by a snap of a lock. On the other side of the door was a very long room  with low, heavy wooden door. It was very thick, of course I knew because the last time I went here the door stood open. But now, it was sealed shut.

I breathe in deeply as Demetri raised his white knuckles so he could knock on the thick doors. Jasper gave me a kiss again and he smiled a dazzling smile. My heart was dancing again.

" This is it. " Jasper whispered in my ears.

" Welcome  to the Volturi, again Bella. I now welcome you as a sister. " Demetri turned to me and gave me smirk. I nodded at him and then he began to knock.