Chapter 5

Anastasia's POV~

Anastasia's POV~

The library was so crowded today. It took me half an hour to get a book when usually it just takes five to ten minutes. I would have come back seeing the line if it was not so important. I lost my book some days ago and realised this just now. Plus next week we have a test. I really have to stop loosing things.

I adjust the bag on my shoulder and start walking. Mom will kill me if she gets to know that I am out at night again. I had to promise Chloe that I will return soon to stop her from calling Mom.

I take the sidewalk instead of the alley. I am not a fool. I know how shady the alleys are at this time. I have watched enough thrillers to know that.

When I almost reach my destination I hear some muffled noises from somewhere. Looking around I do not see anyone so I continue. Seconds into the walk and I hear that again. I turn around and the voice stops. Again. This time I wait to hear it clearly. The noise comes again and looks like it is coming from behind me. I tip toe following the voices and it takes me to an alley. I stop at the corner, not looking in.

I should not go. It will not be good. But what if someone needs me? I am going in. I am not. I am going. I am not.

Just then a small scream comes out ending my inner turmoil. I would not have been able to hear it if I was not so close. That is the last straw. I build enough courage and look at what is happening in there.

Just as I thought. Some men in black are beating the shit out of someone. The man is laying on the ground covered in blood. I can not see their faces in the darkness of the alley. But seeing the man's condition, one more blow and he will be dead. A man pulls out a gun and shoots him on the stomach. He screams in pain. But the noise is not much due to him not having enough energy I think. Blood gushes out from the wound. The man is aiming his gun at his head now.

This is too much. They will kill him. I have to do something. I have to stop them.

I think I have said it out loud because now all of their attention is turned to me.

They are looking at me and I see them through the light coming from the nearby lamp post. They are not wearing any mask like goons do. Neither are they in hoodies. In fact they are in well fitted black suits. All of them. The clothes they are wearing look expensive. Which is not normal. Thieves do not wear clean clothes. But theirs are, except the blood splattered on them.

The man with the gun points it at me and I realise what a grave mistake I have done jumping in this situation unarmed and alone.

I will not die like this. I refuse to die in the hands of a criminal.

"Stop it. I will call 911. The police station is near. It will not take them much time to come here." I pull out my phone. "I have contacts there. They will not spare you." I lie.