Chapter 24

Anastasia's POV~

Anastasia's POV~

By the time I get out of the bathroom using the new set of clothes and pads that Alessandro kept for me on the cabinet, the sheets are changed and I find him leaning against the head board.

Noticing my gaze, he motions towards the glass and strip on the night stand. "Drink that and take the medicine before you sleep."

The med is for menstrual pain, I guess. "What is it?" I eye the glass. Picking it up, I exclaim, "You got me hot chocolate!"

He just shrugs in return.

I do not know if he has any idea how much effect these small acts of his affection have on me.

Gulping the content of the glass and taking the pill after, I get under the covers. He wraps an arm around me, pulling me to his side and I put my head on his chest.

I decide to ask the question I have been wanting to ever since we came here.

I lift my head, my hairs falling on his bare chest and look at his face while speaking, "Where are your parents? You did not mention them." My curious gaze tries to gauge his reaction.

His expression hardens and he stares ahead as he says with a clenched jaw. "Dead."

I stiffle the gasp that is about to get out at his straight forwardness. Getting over the initial shock, I place my palm on his cheek, softly caressing the slight stubble with my fingertips and look into his eyes. "I will not say I am sorry. Because my or anyone else's apology is not going to bring them back. Neither can it fill that void. Ever." His face softens ever so slowly hearing my voice. "But what I want you to remember is that even if the people we loved are not here anymore. We can no longer see them. They do not really leave us." I then place another hand against his chest, right over his beating heart. "They live here. In our hearts. You feel them in every beat. So do not you ever think that you are alone."

He opens his mouth to say something but I stop him before he can. "Shh. You do not need to explain. Not to me." I shake my head, looking at him lovingly. "Just know that whenever you feel like taking if off your chest, I will be here to listen to everything." Saying, I lean over his stiff body and place a soft kiss on his forehead in a form of assurance.

I could have kissed him on the lips but decided against it. It felt like a show of intimacy which he did not need right now. What he needed though at the moment was affection and care and I hope, I provided him with those through that one kiss, conveyed that I will be there with him even if no one is.

Leaning back, I stare at him, waiting for his reaction. Alessandro just looks at me for minutes straight then wraps his hands around my frame, crushing me into his chest, his nakedness weirdly not bothering me anymore. Sighing, he kisses the crown of my head and tightens his hold on me.

***************************

My eyes fly open at the excruciating pain. Sitting up, I wrap my arms around my tummy and groan as slowly as I can, not wanting to wake Alessandro up. He has already done so much for me.