Chapter 38

Anastasia's POV: ~

Anastasia's POV: ~

Tiptoeing in the kitchen, hands behind my back, I scream in her ear, “Boo”

“Dio mio!” Laura yikes, losing her balance before I steady her.

I laugh out at her expression.

“What was that?” She points a spatula at me, reminding me of mom.

“Happy belated birthday!” I take out the box from behind me and hand it to her.

She, though hesitant at first, takes the gift and opens the lid. Her eyes are glistening as she looks up at me.

I gnaw on my bottom lip in nervousness, not sure if she liked it. “How was it? I did not know your choice, so…”

Putting the box on the island, Laura hugs me, her motherly warmth engulfing my senses. Kissing my head, she pulls away, “You did not have to but thank you, dear.” She pulls my cheek, “Sei venuto come un angelo nelle nostre vite. Dio vi benedica.”

(You have come as an angel in our lives. God bless you.)

I do not know what she is saying, but knowing her, it must be something good so I smile at her.

“Who told you it was my birthday?”

I shrug, “I heard one of the maids last week.”

She shakes her head then picks the box up, “Can I wear it?”

“Of course, it is yours now. Wait,” I take the box from her and collect the bracelet from the cushion that I bought some days ago from my pocket money, “let me.”

She forwards her hand and I clasp the ornament around her wrist, the crystals shining under the light.

“I will make a cake for you at dinner, okay?”

I grin, “That will be the best return gift.”

“Thanks again for the gift, Ana.”

I wave my hand, “Fine,” Then remembering something, I add, “donna.”

“What?”

“Donna.” I say again.

Laura's eyes widen, hearing me, “No. No. I am not Donna.”

“Why not?” I ask in confusion, “I am telling you, you are donna.”

She shakes her head frantically like she is scared, “How can I be Donna? You must be mistaken.” She steps away, “Oh, my God! Sir will kill me if he hears this.”